Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Hi Dorian,

Personally, I don’t have any problems with the AI generated voice. I think it depends on what your goal is – if your goal was to become a tutorial personality/business like Blender Guru, then I probably wouldn’t use AI because it takes the personal nature out of the equation. However, I’d guess your goal is deliver solid and informative tutorials on your product, so in that case AI is appropriate to make sure everything is clearly understood.

I do have a question for you as well – I’m pretty new to Blender and have just discovered this product and want to purchase it – but I had two questions (1 I submitted on the blender market earlier today, many hours ago, but am not sure how often you check that email, so I thought I’d ask here)

1. will scatter 4 work with 2.91? I know the notes say 2.9, but wasn’t sure about 2.91.
  2. can i adjust the materials of the included assets once i create biomes/scattering? I just began working on a client scene today and they want a wet, rainy look so i’d need to adjust the specular and roughness values of the grasses to make them look wet. Can i do that with your included assets?

Thanks!

Hello Bendbox

I did respond to this e-mail immediatly, didn’t you recieve the notification ? :thinking: maybe I didn’t hit send correctly or had a bad connection. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Yes Scatter4 is 2.91 compatible

can i adjust the materials of the included assets once i create biomes/scattering?

Yes of course! Scatter is a scattering plugin, the assets are separated and not linked to the code, except for Lodify, which is a universal proxy system

rainy look so i’d need to adjust the specular and roughness values of the grasses to make them look wet.

Yes of course you will just have to tweak the shader with color ramp, saturation nodes etc… But I don’t propose built-in material tweaking group like graswald does, that’s not the goal with this plugin. :slight_smile:

Personally, I don’t have any problems with the AI generated voice. I think it depends on what your goal is – if your goal was to become a tutorial personality/business like Blender Guru, then I probably wouldn’t use AI because it takes the personal nature out of the equation. However, I’d guess your goal is deliver solid and informative tutorials on your product, so in that case AI is appropriate to make sure everything is clearly understood.

Thanks for the feedback!

if your goal was to become a tutorial personality/business like Blender Guru, then I probably wouldn’t use AI because it takes the personal nature out of the equation

Well imo it’s original, if I always use the same voice?
I Don’t know

Hi Dorian,

Thank you so much for your speedy reply, I appreciate it! I don’t know why I didn’t receive the reply on the blender market, I just checked it again to be sure. Who knows.

I just purchased Scatter, installed, and have been playing a bit. I am BLOWN AWAY!!! I’m literally sitting here in my office, chuckling in delight at how easy and amazing this tool is. This tool will save me countless hours on my projects. It’s exactly what I’d hoped for!

Yes, I agree, I’d keep the same voice and it essentially becomes your for the tutorials.

1 Like

ahaha wait for Scatter5. i have high expectation on this release.

Yes, I agree, I’d keep the same voice and it essentially becomes your for the tutorials.

Yeah that was the goal, maybe releasing some full archviz tutorial to convert archviz 3dsmax artists to blender. that’s kinda long term target.

1 Like

I think it’s good enough. As long as the script is well written it will probably do just fine.

Nice. Thanks for that.

Hey, i am currently using scatter in some of my own scripts. The Code i use is simple:

bpy.context.scene.C_Slots_settings.Terrain_pointer = ob
bpy.ops.scatter.execute_smart_asset(asset_name="b_.grass_05")

Unfortunately that does only work if blender is opened. If i start blender from the console without GUI (blender -b file.blend …), scatter is throwing the following error:

File "C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.91\scripts\addons\Scatter\core\sc_c_manager_exec.py", line 48, in execute
    bpy.ops.script.python_file_run(filepath=script_path)
  File "C:\E_cycles_2.91_beta_v20201119_win_rtx\2.91\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 132, in __call__
    ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Operator bpy.ops.script.python_file_run.poll() failed, context is incorrect

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Would love to use scatter from cli

Unfortunately that does only work if blender is opened. If i start blender from the console without GUI (blender -b file.blend …), scatter is throwing the following error:

Hey,
I didn’t create scatter thinking it would be used for this kind of usage :frowning:
Sorry

Hello ! I recnetly bought your addon :slight_smile:
It’s really great !
I have to do some remarks though :stuck_out_tongue:

• At first the UI was quite confusing. The fact that the panels are greyed out made me think i had to unlock them somehow. Now i know it, it’s fine but for a first use, it doesn’t quite match with how the rest of Blender is presented.

• Secondly, there are a lot of operators/props that don’t have description attached :frowning:

• Concerning the addon setup, i was sad i couldn’t put the addon in the addon folder i specified in the preferences and where all my other addons are

• I was also a bit sad that i had to put the library as a sibling folder, instead as wherever i want and specify the path in the addon prefs (i explored editing the addon myself, but as i have only very little time for me those days i had to just leave it as is).

• For the Boolean Mask, it would be nice to be able to adjust a “spread” or “dilation” setting so we don’t need to do it manually in weight paint mode

• Same for the altitude mask, it would be nice to be able to specify a min and max altitude

• And finally, concerning the addon distribution, could you put the script file as a separate download than the library ?

Concerning the video… Wow, the voice is really nice, i tried a bit of TTS few months ago, and the result was not that great XD
Will be totally fine for a tut !

Anyway, thanks for this great addon! I hope to see some trees added soon though, because they are really missing ^^
I’ll keep playing with it and come back for more feedback !

1 Like

Hy! I spent days to figure out what trees meet my expectations and I decided that @3Dshaker models pack did… I also compared with botanique… I must say that both are not have a detailed view of the mesh on blendermarket but I found a video from 3dshaker on YouTube and there you can see a huge difference. Botanique got nice features and will grow but for now I go with this pack of trees :wink:

By dorian, I think it’s nice!
Don’t focus to much on the voice, you provide such a helpful addon. The only thing you should focus on is clear and on point information that assist users to use your addon for their needs. All the other stuff is nice for a clickbait but real users will thank you for fast and efficient information…see mandala motion :wink:

getti’n these 2ct’s in
Greets

Hello! Thanks

At first the UI was quite confusing. The fact that the panels are greyed out made me think i had to unlock them somehow. Now i know it, it’s fine but for a first use, it doesn’t quite match with how the rest of Blender is presented.

Thanks a lot fot for sharing this kind of first impression, this is quite important for designing better GUI.
Making them greyed out is making it easy to check which panel is open or not, I believe it add a lot of clarity

match with how the rest of Blender is presented.

Note that there is an option to display classic blender arrows instead of icons.
I tried to do something a bit more unique with the icons displayed as such

Secondly, there are a lot of operators/props that don’t have description attached :frowning:

Concerning the addon setup, i was sad i couldn’t put the addon in the addon folder i specified in the preferences and where all my other addons are

I was also a bit sad that i had to put the library as a sibling folder, instead as wherever i want and specify the path in the addon prefs (i explored editing the addon myself, but as i have only very little time for me those days i had to just leave it as is).

For the Boolean Mask, it would be nice to be able to adjust a “spread” or “dilation” setting so we don’t need to do it manually in weight paint mode

All these issues will be addressed on the next release :slight_smile:

Same for the altitude mask, it would be nice to be able to specify a min and max altitude

You can already, it’s done by tweaking the falloff graph

And finally, concerning the addon distribution, could you put the script file as a separate download than the library ?

not sure if I understood, but a custom path will be addressed in this next release, I already got a lot of users asking for this, so we will deliver !

I hope to see some trees added soon though, because they are really missing ^^

Indeed, I must agree that would be nice to go with the shipped in library ^^
note that there’s external packages available, and I there will be some more in the upcoming years, like forest pack is doing with their packages for example

Did you try out The grove / speed tree?
nice software

Don’t focus to much on the voice, you provide such a helpful addon. The only thing you should focus on is clear and on point information that assist users to use your addon for their needs. All the other stuff is nice for a clickbait but real users will thank you for fast and efficient information…see mandala motion :wink:

Concerning the video… Wow, the voice is really nice, i tried a bit of TTS few months ago, and the result was not that great XD
Will be totally fine for a tut !

Thanks for the feedback !

2 Likes

I looked at the groove but i needed trees that were ready to drag‘n‘drop but i think i would like to check it out in the futur. Speedtree lookes awesome but a littlebit overkill for my usage.

Thx for your suggestions!

1 Like

Thank you very much for the quick answer!
Its a pity to hear that. For my project I aim for a high degree of automation, so it is essential that everything runs through the CLI.

Your tool would be a great addition to the project. Is there a way to address this issue through paid support? Maybe you could estimate the amout of hours this takes and send me an offer? :slight_smile:

Not sure, what is your project?

note that you could automate blender particles by yourself, I you know how to code, automatizing particles creation with python should be easy,
check out my first posts when I shared early version on the tool if you need guidance with the blender API

Hi! is it possible in future one window - point cloud, another - rendered. Tried it now and its not working, point cloud stop working when I chose render view

Point cloud is VERY nice option, there is about 300 trees from Groove on screen - and viewport are very fast

Indeed, if you enter render view why would you like to see point clouds?

point clouds for tweaks and work with, and real time render viewport to see result. Its usual practice… I think. Render window VERY sluggish as expected - not for work
I don’t like 3d max and forest but for clear https://youtu.be/hJZ6RCXT-2w?t=520

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m currently working on a mid size project and I have to go back and forth on the terrain and sulpt it. The thing right now is that when I go to sculpt mode I need to disable by hand all the modifiers and when I’m done I go back and enable them.

Is there a “smart” way to improve the workflow when switching to sculpt mode?

Here is a little glimpse of the modifier list:

Cheers,
Juan

I’m currently working on a mid size project

Hey

I believe that the introduction of geometry node will move a lot of modifiers inside the geometry node group itself, so this mean 60% less modifiers in the modstack

Is there a “smart” way to improve the workflow when switching to sculpt mode?

Yes you can write a little python script :slight_smile:

#assuming terrain is the active object 
import bpy 
terrain = byp.context.object
for m in terrain.modifiers:
    m.show_viewport = True #or False
2 Likes