Geometry Nodes AO [Free Asset]

I couldn’t find an example of this out there so I’m releasing my geometry nodes AO solution for free. Curious if anyone else has tried tackling this?

You can get it here: https://spaghetmenot.gumroad.com/l/geonodesao

It uses a Fibonacci sphere distribution of rays… I’m not sure its the best arrangement but it is fun to play with

Also I wasn’t sure if this counted as “artwork” but didn’t know where else to post it!

21 Likes

I like this a lot- it’s a lot more artistic in appearance than the built-in AO, I’m going to be using this for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is amazing! Would be interesting to see if there was a way to bake the AO as a texture…

1 Like

Thanks! Off the top of my head you could hook up the attribute to the base color of a shader then bake diffuse? I haven’t done much baking in Blender but this seems like a thing that could work :+1:

1 Like

Hey that looks super cool !

I made a quick one for myself but the ray distribution wasn’t super efficient since it only used random rotation on vectors… I really like you approach and I would never thought about it !

The Fibonacci sphere alone look pretty useful too !
Thanks for sharing and the quick breakdown too !

1 Like

Yeah this is an awesome time to avoid baking.
This approach has been done already before (minus the fibonacci).
There is a crazy thread here on BA about geo nodes (which i cant seem to find right now, sorry! ) in which this was previously posted.
I am using that setup for a year or so already at work, but always good if you make people aware of it being a thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow this is going to be very handy. Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

This is awesome!

1 Like