Geometry nodes: non-random distribute?

Hi folks,

Just messing around with geometry nodes for the first time.

A question:

Is it possible to distribute an object in some non random way?

Say for example you have a grid and you want to distribute another object (say, little spheres) in a regular pattern, for example at each vertex of the grid.

Is there some way to do that?

I think you can do that with a particle system, but i want to make use of the exciting possibilities of geometry nodes.

Thanks!

Use the node setup you would normally use, just without the Point Distribute

2 Likes

Use the internal mesh nodes.

When you create a node tree, initial geometry info has the points as the vertices of the original mesh. In the grid case, you can use those vertices right from the geometry input node.

Use vertex groups, and “point separate” node and the VG as mask, the “geometry 2” output gives you the points of the VG.

Here is a node group you can use:

It also allows you to put a random amount of items.
-Geometry is the original object geometry with vertex groups
-vertex_group is, obviously, the vertex group where you want your objects
-seed is the random seed
-random_cut is a range of 0 to 1 for the randomness, if you leave it at 0 it will use all the vertices

The output gives you the points to instance your object:

this is a grid with a vertex group called “smile”

2 Likes

Great, thanks, will give this a try!

1 Like

In 2.93 there is a node, Attribute Sample Texture, which apparently allows you to sample the texture at that point on the mesh. Don’t quote me. :upside_down_face:

Sorry couldn’t resist…lol

Sounds real cool.

2 Likes

Blender Guru uses it in his “gumdrop” tute: I’m not EXACTLY sure how the texture corresponds to the geometry, but it’s a good place to start.

Thank you for this answer it solved a problem I was having with another project.

1 Like