Geometry nodes - scales/objects selectively along beveled curve surface

Hi, I’m trying to make a snake with modeled scales.

What I have is a curve with bevel and taper objects pictured below

I want to have the objects follow the curve of the surface, and to be able to select which “angle” of the bevel to apply these to, so I can have different models of scales at different parts, like flat belly scales and pointy back scales.

I’m thinking maybe it would be some point info? or something to be sampled from the curves.

Any ideas how to achieve this, or come close to this?

Start here:

Good luck.

3 Likes

thank you,

looking at it, the approach feels backwards, like I already have all the info I need to place the objects in the curves that generate the geometry.
I think using the geometry tab, in bezier curve, threw me for a loop.

I’m going to try and use the curves alone to do this, when I’m done I’ll post an update.

I’m almost there!!!

I’ve copied the circle along the first spline using instance on points and then the same for the actual objects.
and with adding set spline cyclic and trim curve I can select which part has the scales. for this having the align euler to vector setup correctly is crucial, it needs to have pivot along Y (or the “3rd” axis of the circle) so rotation data is preserved!!!

The only thing I still need to figure out is the actual scaling of the circle according to another spline to define its size. OwO

AND DONE!!!

So using factor from a resampled curve, I can sample the other curve for width!
Now there’s couple of issues:

• scales scale with the tail thickness. but this should be easy to remedy.
  • having the trim curve makes it so there’s I can’t really place scales around the split.

I can’t upload files yet so here’s a dropbox with the project OwO
Hope other people will find this helpful!!