Geometry Nodes

I use Khan Academy to stay fresh on math. They have kindergarten stuff all the way up to calculus (thousands of YouTube videos plus exercises). Of course, for me at least, the difficultly with math isn’t recalling how to do it, so much as understanding how to apply it if that makes sense.

khanacademy.org

7 Likes

If anyone asks me why I spent my weekend brushing up on algebra and pre-cal, I’m blaming you.

3 Likes

So… I went for plane B. All this stuff was to create a crowd in a stadium. Plan b: instance geometry from real instead of renders on card, Result: 52 000 animated people, each with 6 shaders and textures, and I can move my time slider in really time and it renders in 8 seconds in HD on my machine… so… real geometry it is.

9 Likes

Are your characters animated/offset animation?

Yes they are :slight_smile:

Simple procedural snowflakes. I am first getting them to look the way I want, and than I will attributize them more.

Like I mentioned earlier, the points to volume and volume to mesh work really well to turn a simple wireframe into a convex mesh.

Here are some more examples of what it can do, using different random seeds.

I’m working on more variation, and finer details.

8 Likes

That’s impressive Bob!

1 Like

Blender is impressive! :slight_smile:

COVID ALERT! None of them are wearing a mask!

Now I’m only using the same 4 characters, repeated in 3 alterations, but I’m still in the testing phase here.

19 Likes

I noticed that most sports arenas in still quarantined areas are putting out cardboard cutouts to make them look full on tv. You could sell this to them!

2 Likes

I think Fox Sport already did it. But can you imagine the real time tracking that you need for that, and realtime rendering. That’s Unreal stuff

Nice. Now you need an Animation Offset and a bunch of randomness in the Shaders.

A simple trick I like to use when animating characters is to generate noise on all bones using the graph editor, and layer that action under my main action in the nla.

2 Likes

Does that work with Geonodes?

Ah, that… I thought it was the world biggest Twins Gathering ever.
Now, how that behaves with Eevee? Does it holds realtime stress?

Oh yeah… Sorry, forgot that it was geo nodes and not fully rigged characters. I guess you could use noise to drive a value, but you might as well just do it within the geometry nodes.

Something like this might be better done with particles.

Eevee is handling it very well but I never use Eevee. It’s not good enough for VFX.

1 Like

We’re going to use mocap for our animation. We need about 20 animations to avoid seeing repetition of the crowd is seen from far.

1 Like

Make them do the wave please :clap:

that would be a nice stress test
because so far witouth animation offset this kind of effect is not possible
I hope that the devs are aware of such important functionality missing?
may i tag @Bone-Studio who is also interested in crowds

4 Likes

In order to do the wave, I would need to use an object of influence that would change the animation when it passes near the characters. Interesting challenge actually.

5 Likes

I would need to use an object of influence that would change the animation when it passes near the characters. Interesting challenge actually.

And I think that it’s not currently possible if the animation is not procedural too :frowning:
But please try, that would help devs a lot i believe :thinking: