Geometry Nodes

Hello, I was hoping someone could tell me if I can access and modify the edge attributes such as bevel weight, sharp and seam.

Thanks in advance.

Currently, you cannot bevel or seam. You cannot mark sharp either, but there is an edge split node that can emulate the effect of sharp shading.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if it’s something planned for the near future or if I should change my approach.

I had hoped to make edge geometry on the right from base geometry like this on the left

My method involves using the bevel weight to vary the width of the final geometry but because I couldn’t access in GN I have to convert to mesh and run a python script on the object to randomly assign edge bevel weighting. Not ideal because then the pipeline is destructive.

Maybe I need to work out how to modify the geometry in GM :thinking:

1 Like

Eventually, edge attributes could be added. I imagine they will by the time this task is complete: https://developer.blender.org/T84297
For now, I don’t think what you are trying is possible.

What you would need, is a wireframe node that takes an attribute as thickness input. Then you could simply randomize it.

1 Like

Hey everyone, would anyone know how I could go about using the switch node based on distance? I would love to set up a large shot and using it for a LOD effect.

But I also heard that the switch node is calculating both geometries anyway at the moment but I’m not so sure how true that is.

the switch node calculating both sides issue was recently fixed, so it should be more optimized.

Here’s a basic switch by camera distance setup:

3 Likes

A new dev ( Rajesh Advani ) is trying for an Attribute Math Expression

6 Likes

Thats amazing! Thank you. The power of this combined with adaptive subdivision and instancing of objects will be really cool for large scenes.

I upgraded my catenary curve generator to do something a bit more useful: string lights!

The mesh to curve node was critical for this to get the bulb instancing working right, instancing works well with collections including a point light, and interaction is pretty fluid in eevee

14 Likes

I wonder, would this technique be useful for creating procedural rope bridges?

Certainly seems possible, there might be some tricky bits with getting the planks to align with the base curve, but I think it could probably be done with what we have now. If not now, it definitely will be possible with a few more months of geo nodes development.

You’ve got my gears turning now. I’ll definitely be giving that a shot.

2 Likes

(…)and is hard to grok in a node tree(…)

I like this guy already :smiley:

The Node Wrangler addon works with Geometry Nodes!

https://developer.blender.org/rBA26c4357e0bfaf2b9f148efdeab18b6447fd565d9

5 Likes

Absolute godsend if it makes it in!

What happens when you “pull” the string longer than the specified length?

It turns into a line! The lights are spaced by distance, so it starts growing more lights as you go. If you drag it out really far, you can see the limited number of lights eevee can use at once, only the last 100 lights work (but the bulb mesh has an emissive material, so it is still visually glowing, even if it isn’t casting light into the scene.)

2 Likes

Hi guys, here’s my new video on making instances to follow a curve + short advert for bLandscapeTools at the end

17 Likes

pretty clever technique!

Any way to make it work in 3 dimensions?

1 Like

There’s no curve tilt yet ? that’s what it’s supposed to be for

This isn’t built in, but it’s the next best thing:

I just had to.

I am going to try to get them to follow a lamp without simulation.

4 Likes