Geometry Nodes

This is in 2.92 alpha and is looking good.

While implementing this in the geometry level is a great news, Animation Nodes wont go away anytime soon since it gives us a lot of control at scene level.

Bug? Adding a remesh modifier on top on the geo nodes modifier makes the node network disappear as in it is not possible to see the nodes until the remesh modifier is removed. I wonder if this is a bug of some kind

Iā€™ve noticed this with array as well.

Not a bug but a feature:
As you can add as many Geometry Nodes modifiers to an object as you want, you have to tell the Geometry Node Editor which one of them you want to edit and view. Just make sure you ā€œselectā€ your Geometry Node modifier in the modifier list so it gets a blue frame like this:

Currently itā€™s quite hard to activate but thatā€™ll be taken care of soon I guess!

1 Like
1 Like

Right, you need to click on the blank space of the panel, but the selector just got wider so there is basically no blank space left. Weā€™ll have to bring back the way clicking on the icon activated the modifier I suppose.

You can always use the pin in the node editor header to keep a specific node group visible.

Thanks but that is not the issue I tried to explain. The nodes in the graph view disappears after adding a remesh modifier on top of the geonodes mod.

3 Likes

Bug? Right now isnā€™t possible to animate the manually created sockets on the modifier list. Animating within the nodes works, but no keyframes are shown on the animation editors.

Iā€™m not sure I understand this. Isnā€™t the geometry nodes editor supposed to show whatever nodetree is selected from the dropdown in the header ?

2 Likes

After toying a little with the new 2.92 build, I sure hope to see some kind of attributes implementation within most nodes, like Subdivision, Triangulate, etc.

Also, it seems that manual attributes creation doesnā€™t work.

vgroup/vcol/textures will be attr

1 Like

Well. It looks like modifying nodetree datablock in editorā€™s header is modifying nodetree for active modifier.
So, you have to select active modifier to switch from one nodetree to another.
Pinning editor is greying out ability to browse nodetree datablock.

That is not great. It is a change that makes node editor only copying half of Properties Editor behavior.

Now, we are force to click on a modifier panel that was thought for that.
If you click on header, you close/open modifierā€™s panel.
That means that you canā€™t select a modifier that is closed.
If you click elsewhere, you are editing name of nodetree or applying actions of buttons of datablockā€™s name template.
You have to click on thin background region of modifierā€™s panel around datablockā€™s name template.

IMO, that would be better if clicking on dragging handle could make a modifier the active one.

For those who can speak portuguese or maybe spanish, Iā€™ve created an introductory tutorial for Geometry Nodes. :slight_smile: https://youtu.be/X4wQTI9aJfU

1 Like

Playing with this nowā€¦

But s there a way to randomize the Point Distribution on a plane, when you want to have more than one object? It seems thereā€™s no way to set a point randomization on the base object for scattering.
So all scattered objects all end up in the same spot.
And are all distributed objects always Z-up? If I scatter on e.g. a cube all my items are facing upwards.

Other than that, pretty cool stuff :slight_smile:

You can use the attributes node to influence rotation.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried both, but not seeing it atmā€¦ Theyā€™re either pointing up, or are randomly rotated.

You can use a ā€œrandom attributeā€ node and set the drop down to ā€œvectorā€.
Note, that the values for rotation are in radians so 2 * pi is 360 degrees.

1 Like

I sure hope to see some kind of normal alignment for object rotation without vector maths (or at least a shipped node group to do this).

What I miss right now is instancing based on Collection objects for random objects.

Is it possible to get normals, vertex positions and stuff like that at the moment?

They should really make a list in which all working attributes are listed. Guessing them is quite frustrating.

1 Like