Gert De Roost - Character Sketchbook

Great to have someone comment on my characters and thanks for the kind words! Yes I love making up original characters with their own unique - well - “character”. :eyebrowlift: I would love to do this for a living, designing original game/animation creatures but I wonder if concept artists ever work like I do, that is, in low-poly 3D. I only see concept work done in 2D, the 3D modeler afterwards translating these ideas into 3D, but for me my greatest forte is exactly making up original looks from scratch.
Anyhow, even as I speak I’m getting things arranged to start going freelance so future will tell if it’ll work out like this! And, good thing, for designing these base meshes, the choice of using Blender should not interfere with the companies pipeline.

I enjoyed looking through them all :slight_smile:

I hope all goes well for you and you can find some good work when you start with your freelance endeavour!

And yeah, blender is a brilliant piece of software, and the export capabilities are great, anything from .fbx to .stl, even VRML2 :slight_smile: so there should always be a file type you can export to that an employer can work with in their specific pipeline :smiley:

A first try at transmitting emotion through face shape keys.

Another peaceful little monster guy.

Cute creations, very nice! Do you sculpt them or use skin modifier or something?

Spooneared fella walking the desert.

No plain standard box modeling the heads then extruding out bodies.

Nice work! I like your art style. Do you do any concept drawing before you model a character?

No, no concept drawings. I start boxmodeling away and choose a certain main shape for the head, the rest evolves whenever I see the art take an interesting form.

Special kind of pet.

A creature.

I think these are incredibly charming. What a wonderful imagination you have. If was a kid and these were toys or miniature statues, I would collect them.

Thanks for the kind words Vonzuka. As it happens one of my friend suggested to turn the designs into rubber bath toys. A great idea, but a bit of a daunting project to embark on…

Anyway, heres another one.

Monkeypinguin.

Don’t get into an argument with him!

Polite little fella.

The more demonic kind…

1 Like

Gimme a kiss!

Tiger magician.

The duckster.

Practicing getting deeper into the character design.