Getting Aquainted and Creating Connections

Believe me when I say I understand, I used to do some work with irrlicht, and look at some of the stuff in here:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6

or, this, this is excerpt from a hilarious one that was in the 3DGS forum not to long ago:

Hi Im interested in making a Online Shooter game like rainbow 6 vegas, But i want to be able to select your character, and be able to level him up, by points system or sumthing, I have 3d Gamestudio A6 and Maya 8.5, I need a scripter and a level designer, Animator, Modeler, but i am also learning maya and love to get my hands Dirty. If game is publish you will get your share of the money, I would also do for Fun but why not sell it if, it is Good.

Features What i would like:

1. funny character - lots of different selection
  2. Great 3d graphics
  3. Large Levels
  4. Ai
    etc…

Help?

LATER IN THE THREAD:

Sorry if it sounded sarcastic . But i like to create this type of game, and maybe the features could be like WoW were you need a membership to play the game which is FREE and we could give updates/weapons/Level etc

If you wanna make up a team reply with Who/Whats you role …
So believe me, I get skepticism but I also thing there is a difference between the two types of posts. Thank you for understanding now though, and I will have information and media ready to present soon.

Edit: I have a small video that shows some programming work I’ve done in the past. The first portion shows some basic movement, wall-hugging, weapon attachment (the weapon and armor are not part of the model they are scripted to it), camera programming, ladder climbing and moving boxes around. The second portion just shows a basic menu I made for a game a while back. Some previous modeling work will be posted soon when I put a portfolio together. Heres the video:
http://www.lostclimategames.com/skill_demo.wmv

all i would suggest is if you cant get a hold of people to get permision to show your work, you made it once you can make it again just show us anything worth showing so we know if were intrested in your style. personaly i think this was alot more profesional intro than most people and would hate for some one with actual tallent to be shuned from the comunity for a bad first post. i would just suggest making something small to show.

edit
sorry didnt see the video hopefully less people will give you crap for your posts now.

Impressive…

LostClimateGame , i have seen your video , it’s nice , keep working , but you really have to excuse us man , if you were us you will do the same , there are new comers sometimes who spam our community , that’s why we may have such a reaction , for me i want to appologize for that image of spam i have put in the begining , consider it as a joke , regards , and good luck , we will help you with all we know …

LostClimate, I think you’ll find that this is a pretty good community. Just a bit quick to attack new people sometimes. You’ll see, they’ll warm up to you. Give us a chance.

You all saw me coming, yes. But there’s no reason to lock the thread. I have, however, deleted all the responses about “Is Plant coming?” and “Ha ha newb” and such. Stay on topic people.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
We do have some people here that are at a professional level with experience in game development, as soon as you start advertising the payed jobs I have a feeling that you will have no problem in finding people to help you out.

It is funny to hear some people here question your credibility, most of them are just new people too…the others have never even developed a game, so they are full of $hit too… Dont let it get you down man.
The real game developers usually lurk in the shadows, and help out when needed, and rarely bash the new people.

anyways, good luck on your project… It would really be great to see a few commercial titles come out of the BGE.

Thanks for the compliments. Don’t worry, I get it when people are skeptical at first. I have already started putting together my portfolio, and I’ve picked up a couple quick refresher books on css and php (I’m a little rusty), so my site should have some content and form soon that will allow you to see some of the media I’ve worked on before.

Images make pages load slower, and for that you should be sorry. However, everything posted here was warranted.

The OP made the mistake of not thinking his initial post through the first time around, therefore he deserved all the criticism he got in this thread. (which was actually not that bad compared to what some other guys got)

Either way, we were all well within our rights, and everything that was said should be taken in as a lesson.

Also, any idiots spouting crap along the lines of: “people who criticize you are mostly losers”, are just trying (in a very pathetic manner) to portray themselves as “heroes”; wannabe protectors of the innocent who were attacked on some invalid basis —> Only in this case the proclaimed “victim” is not so innocent, and there was more than valid basis for the hard reception dealt (yes, we do have our immature moments, but I think “attack” is a word that people should try to define in a less general scope).

Personally, I think the aforementioned “crap spouting” individuals should try to spend more time on improving their mediocre programming skills, so that they could one day make something a little more complex than what are essentially “marble maze” clones. :o
^
Or they could at least try to write some decent tutorials, and give back to the community that way (although that might be asking too much from them).

LostClimateGame>

I looked at the video. It’s nice.

If you did everything in that demo, then you have indeed proven not to be some run of the mill yap (at least on the art side).

However, you should still keep in mind the prerequisites I listed in my first post here, along with all the other advice. That would especially be of benefit if you still plan on recruiting for paid positions, because just saying “I’m here, I have a company, and I’ll be hiring soon” sounds more like a selfish plea for attention, rather than a serious business proposition.

Well, when you come to that point, that would probably warrant a new thread anyway.

Good luck until then.

@ all the people with the “Wait for Plant” posts

PlantPerson, is an objective mod - he doesn’t just jump at the slightest sign of controversy; going crazy with the remove button.

When Fligh asked me for my opinion as to whether or not PlantPerson would be the man for the job, those were the qualities I thought of when I said: “Absolutely”.

So, don’t waste your time trying to provoke an action. He won’t fall for some cheap “emotion charge”.

oh btw, don’t let social get you down. he has some points that are good for alot of people to follow but is one of the more helpfull people in the forum just the hardest to please from what ive seen, hes here more for the working on projects not meating people to talk to it seems lol. keep up the good work its better than anything ive done yet and if i were better i would take you up on your job offer but i am not that great.

oh and in reply to the person who said that the pro’s are the one who sit in the shadows snd post when needed, i wish that were the case for me but i sit in the shadows because i usualy have no idea what im talking about.