Getting Started with Blender

I’ve become really interested in 3D modeling especially the stuff that artists like Beeple and FvckRender. I would really like to get into making graphics like them or at least art (I still don’t know how they do it), but I also understand how skilled someone like Beeple is and the amount of time and patience required to get to that level requires and I’m in no rush. I just want to make sure I’m learning the best possible path in Blender.

I know these guys use Cinema4D and I know Cinema4D is a more professional program and Blender probably couldn’t make anything close to their stuff.

So where do I start?

Also, If you anybody has any helpful advice, resources or tutorials. It would be very appreciated!

I’m not sure how you define “professional” but Blender is quite capable of matching and exceeding the modelling capabilities of most DCC packages.

To get started with blender I would suggest you check the Blender Support page here:

If you want people to help you, don’t start by displaying your ignorance and arrogance about the thing you need help with.

@JA12 I apologize that wasn’t my intention, I just wanted to know what is the best way to go about this. I’m still a beginner so obviously I sound dumb when I talk about topics

Yeah, we sometimes fall into the belief that unless we pay a lot of money for something it is somehow inferior. Blender is definitely not in that category! Of course this belief is encouraged by people whose true goal is making money rather than promoting the art.

Be no longer deceived, and have fun with Blender!

P.S. Reading these forums helped me a lot when I started with Blender, and still do…

1 Like

These tutorials go through the interface and enough settings to be able to manipulate the interface for whatever you do. Unlike most other tutorials, those use actual terminology.

Apart from also learning specific editors you use for working, that’s pretty much all you have to learn about Blender. Professionals report 3-10 days to switch from Maya to Blender, so it should take less overall when you don’t have preconceived notions of how it should work, because it doesn’t.

The rest is about learning the fundamentals, advanced topics, tips and tricks about each pipeline stage you use Blender for. Those can take years, each.

Many start learning with modeling. If you also start with that

• keep subject matters simple and fast. Modeling a coffee cup from start to finish teaches a beginner more than taking on a human or a car and fail with those
  • No matter how simple the subject matter, always find references of the thing you want to model. Don’t model if you can’t see what you need to model. References are any data that informs you what the model proportions, forms, dimensions are, and you can look at it and make decisions before touching the modeling tools
  • Watch tutorials. Use many tutorial sources rather than just one or couple. There’s a lot of crap out there and using multiple sources minimizes the effect of getting misinformation, and also adds to your workflows because there are many ways to model
  • Don’t learn steps. Tutorials might be structured to specific steps, which is fine, but might only give instructions like “first press this, then that, now add these and then enable those”. Don’t learn that sequence. Try and figure out why anything is done in a tutorial, and if it doesn’t help you with that, find another tutorial.
1 Like

Thank you for the help guys. I’m excited to get started

Well, first do, learn, experience what you wish to, the way your idols do it.

1. You can get C4D for 42 days of full use with registration.
    You can use it indefinitely after with some limitations.

2. Learn directly from Beeple resources, since that is what thrives you.

Then you’ll might start seeing beyond brands & book covers… the math, abstraction, syntax… the essence of computers and everything done with the tool is a reaction.
To be considered as work of art long path awaits :wink: so maybe what you basically seek is knowing how to express with visual story telling.

Khan Academy
Pixar in a box

The best and the only path will be the one you’ll walk.

1 Like

I really got into modeling because I want to use it to tell a story because I’m writing a couple stories right now and I would love to see how designing my own work would contribute to that

Pixar-in-a-box: The Art of Storytelling
+
Blender Cookie: Guided Learning Flows

Just don’t confuse design with modeling. Like in the pipeline image, design comes first, then modeling.

@JA12 Thank you for the clarification. It makes more sense that way.

Also should I get in the habit of drawing my ideas so later down the road?. So it’s easier to model them

Whatever works for you. Could draw or write to put ideas down. Then refine those to preferably multiple designs to choose from. Could draw, paint, photobash, and/or use 3D tools to design with kitbashing, sculpting, blocking with boolean operations.

Once you have the design chosen and refined, and it contains information about the proportions, forms, and part separation, then it’s time to start modeling an appropriate structure for it.

1 Like