Getting started with geometry nodes, advice on "smart" hexagon pattern?

Hey, it’s my first time using geometry nodes which I’m primarily going to be using to bake normals/diffuse textures onto planes with booleans. The end result I’m looking for is to have a hexagon pattern with parameters to adjust:
-the thickness of the hexagons
-the “opacity” of the hexagons which go from fully visible to not visible, and have this opacity at different strengths randomly across the pattern but still follow a smooth curve that can be adjusted
-I’d love to have it be tileable too if you have any suggestions on that.

I’m starting with a simple hexagon with a thickness as base-mesh, what I’m trying to do right now is make it so that I can adjust its thickness with a parameter.

I’m not familiar with any of the nodes, I would be very grateful if you have any suggestions on what nodes I could try to achieve this, would be very helpful to narrow things down for me. :slight_smile: If you an example node-setup that’s similar which I could learn from that would be great too.

Was thinking maybe I’d have the hexagon as planes and use this extrude node? The only issue is that the extrusion doesn’t seem to work like a normal extrude. It leaves unfilled faces, think that might cause issues later.

edit: Ok seems a bit duct-tapey but got the thickness with a parameter to work at least :smile:

1 Like

very useful!