Gimp 2.5 has still 3 anoying windows .

Thanx Michael W !

I love this forum :smiley:

Now i am able to select under windows with CNTRL pressed two image windows and arrange them side by side respectively vertically for comparing or cloning/repair jobs to have more controll. Had some fun removing non static objects/people on tripod supported series of photographs.

Surely we can still criticise.

You (and the gimp devs) might dismiss the 5 billion floating windows and a full taskbar problem that has plagued the gimp gui from the start, but it has been a real issue for a great many users (and even more potential users who simply haven’t bothered beyond their first few attempts to use it).

I use GIMP (haven’t tried 2.5 yet), but no other graphic artist I know does. Their big complaint? the GUI.
(BTW, the second biggest complaint is no CMYK or floating point colour - have they addressed this yet?)

It seems coders can get (understandably) wrapped up in what’s going on under the hood, and place less importance on good GUI design. From most users point of view (especially users of graphics apps) good GUI design is one of the most important issues.
To dismiss what seems to be a widely held opinion as “mindless comments” smacks of elitism. So please forgive this poor mindless fool, but I’ll continue to refrain from recommending GIMP to my colleagues until they get a few things right.

From the looks of it, they might be on their way.

Michael W

:eek: :eek:
i just knew you could change the behaviour of the multiple windows.
now i can seriously consider switching to gimp, because i couldn’t stand dealing with all of them… especially if i have more than 2 files open

If you have problems with the way windows are handled you should consider using a better window manager.

GEGL has been in development for years so they could add this and that’s what they have now begun integrating into v2.5.

BZZZZT.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Sorry, but on the various systems I use at home and at work, there’s xfce, gnome, e17 and windows explorer. The window manager isn’t the issue. The issue is with the GIMP’s GUI design and it appears they are finally addressing it.
(Imagine if every window in Blender floated! What a nightmare!)
We can argue about this all you like, but I know for a fact that many people have avoided GIMP because of the floating windows. It’s one of those issues that devs and fanboys think is unimportant, but new users see it differently.
(… and don’t talk to me about Gimpshop, either!)
Anyway, whatever.
It seems things might be changing, so this might be a moot point.

I heard about that. Will be good when I don’t have to use cinepaint for HDR images.

Of course you can criticise, but it’s un-necesary to attack, especially when the criticism is un-founded (as has been discussed already)

(BTW, the second biggest complaint is no CMYK or floating point colour - have they addressed this yet?)

This sort of thing will now be possible with the new GEGL stuff at the core, work can start on that… think “blender event manager” for 2.5… it’ll make new things possible but not from “day1”

BZZZZT.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Sorry, but on the various systems I use at home and at work, there’s xfce, gnome, e17 and windows explorer. The window manager isn’t the issue. The issue is with the GIMP’s GUI design and it appears they are finally addressing it.
(Imagine if every window in Blender floated! What a nightmare!)
True, I didn’t like the gimp when i used it on windows but when I used it on linux it never ever bothered me…(though it still bothered you)… there’s definate weight to the “window manager” being a factor… the argument has been a long one about whether that resposibility lies with “the gimp” or the authors of the window manager itself… I’m sure you’re glad how that’s resolved?

As for blender…being able to float the windows would be good, and this has stopped some users from switching to blender … the devs are aware of this and are changing how blender works for 2.5… “sauce for the goose” and all that! (don’t worry, it’ll still be able to behave as it does now)

To dismiss what seems to be a widely held opinion as “mindless comments” smacks of elitism. So please forgive this poor mindless fool, but I’ll continue to refrain from recommending GIMP to my colleagues until they get a few things right.
I think that since you wrote this you may have read the rest of the thread…

I painted the comment as “mindless” because it was inflamtory, ill informed and unjustified… not because I’m “a fanboy” or an “elitist”

From the looks of it, they might be on their way
True. I’m glad i rarely need CMYK and 16bit per channel or hdr! but look forward to their addition to the gimp.

They’re also considering “node based” gimp with the new core … could be interesting for some and would take gimp out of the “photo shop clone” territory and into it’s own space… I much prefer how gimp handles selections already!

Good answers, MW.
Yeah, I heard about the plans for nodes, too. Sounds exciting!