GIMP 2.9.6 is out

Does anyone have an appimage?
I’m using the 2.9.5, commit 2224733…
I’d love to have a newer version although this one works pretty much without problems

Hi.
If you use Ubuntu family, here is the PPA for periodic versions (starting from Xenial):
https://launchpad.net/~otto-meier/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-edge

Or from here appimage (Click on standard version. Link says 2.9.5 but it is 2.9.7 from 20170907)

Unless you are in Trusty, it is recommended to use PPA because appimage does not share the same configuration path with version installed from repositories (it is ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/). I guess you can copy settings or make a symlink, but I have not tried that much.

Or from here appimage (Click on standard version. Link says 2.9.5 but it is 2.9.7 from 20170907)
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/community-built-software/2137

Unless you are in Trusty, it is recommended to use PPA because appimage does not share the same configuration path with version installed from repositories (it is ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/). I guess you can copy settings or make a symlink, but I have not tried that much.

Thanks YAFU, that’s where I got my copy from.
I was seeing 2.9.5 and thought it was that old one of mine.

The configuration path is indeed ~/.config/GIMP-Appimage but I don’t mind and if I’m correct on the first run it asked for permission to copy the old configuration files.

How can a Windows user make the gimp 2.9.6 run, it gives errors?

without telling us these unknown errors are…

there is really nothing we can do

i do know that gimp built very easily in the MinGW environment
mind you that was years ago on XP , i went Microsoft free in 2005

there is a 64 bit MinGW so it should build using those Autotools

My mistake, image; http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=119110
I dont know about Mingw, but have VS 2015.

that is not an error

just a warning about how someone decided to build "Babl "

Ya, but it does not start. Its stuck in the start and this is the console message i see.
new pic: http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=119135

Good to see Gimp is still alive and kicking. I wonder if my old collection of python-fu scripts and addons are still working with the new versions… I think Gimp 2.10 is at least supposed to deprecate some API stuff, but I’m not sure if and how that applies to Python scripts.

at least supposed to deprecate some API stuff, but I’m not sure if and how that applies to Python scripts.

then READ the changelog and the development documentation

2.8 is a most rewrite
3.0 will be a 100% full rewrite

Well, I wrote the release notes and I’d love to know where it says that 3.0 will be a “100% full rewrite” :slight_smile:

What did you really mean by that?

i tried Gimp2.9.6,it is very impressive,esp. speed of gegl filters.is it possible to reduce image preview size in the top tab.also is it possible to close toolbox

Hard to believe, but in a good way. It’s nice to see that GIMP is now getting regular updates and a better pace of development.

Good for them, I hope to see the development rate accelerate a bit more in the coming year or so.

Does any plugins work with these development builds? The last version I’ve been using was the latest stable version. I decided to test out the 2.9.8 version. When it transfered everything from my other version it gave errors on all plugins. I had to delete all to not get the errors when starting.

Wich plugins?

For G’MIC
On Windows, override the (old) reported .dlls in plugin directory with the (new) ones coming with GIMP (are inside bin/)

Not sure off hand. It was some I gathered over the years and I know they worked with GIMP 2.8(latest stable version).

I tried it with the noHalo downscaling… vs photoshops bicubic sharper. And photoshop actually gives clearly more detail, and the halo produced on edgets in photoshop is actually pleasing to the eye and gives the appearance of smooth but sharp edges imo…

Went ahead and download 2.9.6. I haven’t had GIMP on my machine for ages.

• –First impression is that the Partha build at least had GIMP in a single slate-grey window (not the multi-window mess it used to be), that was nice to see.
  • –Did some image editing (firefly removal), seemed stable enough for basic tasks.
  • –The brush engine surely has improved since my first try (adjustable softness ect…), also nice to see.
  • –Saving the edited work threw me off initially, until I discovered that there was a specific menu entry for overwriting the loaded image.
  • –Overall, it feels like a notable step up from Paint Shop Pro 7 (which is showing its age at this point and slowly losing the ability to work in the modern Windows environment).

Conclusion; GIMP is taking steps in the right direction and it’s much better than it used to be (even if it doesn’t have the power of Photoshop).

I think GIMP is powerful enough for texture artists. Power of Photoshop in plugins IMO.