GIMP 2.9.6 is out

Since a lot of people here edit their images in GIMP, I need a bit of help in saving a .png image of all things.

Now I know how to write to a .png file, but the issue is the attachments system on this forum won’t recognize it as a valid image file (even though Win10 recognizes it), how do I make GIMP encode the image for maximum compatibility?

And to note, I managed to work around the issue by opening the saved file in Blender and saving as .png from there, but I want a universally compatible file from GIMP.

do you use “Export as…” (never had an issue) or?.. explain, step by step how, what you do.

BTW
couple of days ago Partha posted 2.9.8/9 builds.

Wait, did I read that right? You still work with an 18 year old image editor? You are aware of PhotoLine, Affinity Photo - even Krita?

Any particular reason to keep using PSP7?

There has been an official 2.9.8 build for Windows since December :slight_smile:

I’d be interested to hear if the bug can be reproduced with the official build.

Downloaded official dev build. A few differences from the Partha one, maybe it will work.

It does (and thank you GIMP devs. for doing away with that messy floating window UI, that alone should net you a number of new users)

yup, but tho for w7 installers, while Partha also bulds portables with latest g’mic filters :wink:

:eyebrowlift: way to go Ace!

I also got G’MIC downloaded, placed in the correct area, and recognized by GIMP (after AVG let the main executable through).

There is an option though in 2.9.8 that could really throw off people if they click it and approve the action. If reset to defaults is clicked on and the user says yes, the windows get all separated and messed up (and that could cause someone trying it to throw the app. in the trash again if they don’t know about the option to glue them back together). The better thing to do would be to just not allow the separated window system anymore, or at least not allow it with that menu entry (I don’t know of anyone who would rather have the separate floating windows than the single window GIMP now does by default).

Perhaps you can report this bug(?) to GIMP devs ? (can even do that via Twitter)

Considering it just reverts GIMP to the multi-window thing it used to be, I don’t think it would really be treated as a ‘bug’.

It should be the choice of the user if, for some reason, they would rather have the floating window mess than the clean single-window design (I mean a Blender user can rip windows out and make their own mess if they want to as well). Just make it a separate menu entry (undock UI or something).

Well, single-window mode is default now, so yes, it’s a bug, the way I see it :slight_smile: Will talk to mitch about it.

It’s been in the Windows menu since 2.8.0 :slight_smile:

Upd. Filed a bug report.

Upd2: and fixed: https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/commit/?id=093295470feae99315f9af43b674d4e531d5a1

Dude, you should have reported it. Posting bug report is not much harder than posting your dramatic threads :rolleyes::yes:

Thanks @prokoudine

GIMP 2.10 release candidate 1 is out.

Since 2.9.8 released last December, we fixed 142 bugs and added a few new features mostly related to stability, performance, and bug reporting.

Release highlights:

• debugging system for crash detection and simplified bug reporting
  • crash recovery to prevent losing data
  • new Dashboard dialog to monitor GIMP’s use of system resources (originally developed for GIMP devs)
  • Shadows-Highlights filter (based on code from darktable)
  • masks on layer groups
  • brush can now rotate along with the canvas, if you want it to (lock to view option)

Release notes: https://www.gimp.org/news/2018/03/26/gimp-2-10-0-rc1-released/

Win/Mac builds will be available shortly. I’ll post here when it’s done :slight_smile:

omg ! Can’t believe it !

Congrats for your hard work and thanks ! Will be testing this as soon as I get a hold of my workstation…

Anyone know where I can get an OSX build? 10.10

It’s not a ``bug.‘’ It’s a preference.

64-bit installer for WIndows available now: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/devel/

Again, it’s so nice to see that The GIMP is really starting to advance as a project now (some nice and powerful looking changes to the newest dev. version).

The idea of a FOSS alternative to Photoshop looks pretty realistic now :slight_smile:

hi prokoudine,

please make display of image thumbnail in tab header optional,or reduce height. it will be useful for smaller monitors,thank you.

Anybody find the bigger text hard to read? It almost looks blurred. I noticed it’s like this in 2.10 and 2.9.8.

Also, is there a 32bit installer for 2.10 or 2.9.8? I get a “application error 0xc000007b” on a few plugins and I think it’s because I’m using 64bit. The plugins work on 2.8.18 and it’s 32bit.

32bit? why?!