GIMP UI Brainstorm?

Does anyone check out the GIMP development pages?

I came across this awesome UI concept and I was just wondering how the heck this would be programmed?

Did someone have to write an entirely new UI toolkit to get that or something?

Is it rendered purely in OpenGL like Blender’s UI is?

Or something else?:eyebrowlift2:

The OP is under the docks section on the UI Brainstorm page.

Dunno, but anything that gets them away from those &^%*ing floating toolboxes can only be a good thing!

Amen! :p:evilgrin:

http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=3892 ??

Edit

It’s not quite the same, but at least puts everything into one window.

Thanks for the thought, but it wont help me and my ubuntu setup.

I’m just glad for the multiple desktops, 'cause GIMP needs one all to itself.

That UI-mockup look just like MS word 2007: http://officeblogs.net/UI/sizepics/Word2007.png

Yeah, that mockup is a pure rip-off of the MS ribbon. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
I rather liked this mockup.
http://www.venturecake.com/images/gimp%20new%20ui%20single%20window.png

Yes, I happen to like the MS Office 2007 ribbon/tabbed driven style.

I think with some modifications it would suite GIMP well. I just hope they can’t sue for that. :frowning:

So no one knows how this is programmed eh? :frowning:

If they could sue for GUI looks, Apple could have sued the living crap out of Microsoft a long time ago. And even more now, with VistaIDS.

Personally, I want to get rid of the floating boxes shit. Its annoying as crap. I prefer the Photoshop CS3 approach in Windows.

Oh yeah, for the programming… It seems weird to me that they don’t seem to be using GTK+ for this one… Maybe it’ll be a new version? I dunno. It seems interesting enough, and I want it.

Well, it should be noted that this isn’t the official direction GIMP is going, just a brainstorm. Look around on that blog, there are dozens of UI concept designs.

This one is one of my favorites though. So what if it looks Microsofty? I like the Office 2007 Ribbon. :slight_smile:

But yeah, those floating boxes are pretty annoying. Having them all in a single window would MAJORLY speed up productivity IMO.

One of the worst UI designs I have ever seen to be honest.

Even if a new UI toolkit would be needed, it isn’t as complex as you are making it out. Probably the easiest to be programmed, since everything can be forced to the top and has a rather consistant and linear flow.

Is that sentiment just because its patterned after Office?

Just curious…:eyebrowlift2:

Even if a new UI toolkit would be needed, it isn’t as complex as you are making it out.

I’m not saying a new toolkit is needed, I just have no idea how they did that, that’s all. :confused:

Probably the easiest to be programmed, since everything can be forced to the top and has a rather consistant and linear flow.

I see. :slight_smile:

Not at all.

For a graphic based applications, you dont want your screen full of colour since it alters the contrast and appearance of artwork. The more white there is the better, since most products are made for white backgrounds. Of course, editable background fills are ideal. Photoshop has this feature, and it can be toggled between white, mid grey and black, IIRC of course. So no peachy colours down the side.

Additionally, a large tool set is required. Although i dont use photoshop that much anymore, I was constantly toggling between layers and using the main tool box. Isolating it to the top is good, due to the localization because of the file > edit etc. menus but it is hardly large enough to make it speed-effective especially in a large multi-layered document.

I’m not saying a new toolkit is needed, I just have no idea how they did that, that’s all. :confused:
It’s a brainstorm, it’s only been made in a graphics application at the moment. I can hardly believe its been programmed yet.

It’s not like they didn’t try. (clicky)

Ok. :slight_smile:

For a graphic based applications, you dont want your screen full of colour since it alters the contrast and appearance of artwork. The more white there is the better, since most products are made for white backgrounds. Of course, editable background fills are ideal. Photoshop has this feature, and it can be toggled between white, mid grey and black, IIRC of course. So no peachy colours down the side.

But I liked all the pretty colors. :frowning:

Lol, good reasons there.

Do you want only white, or could you use a grey background as well?

Somehow I think grey would be the easiest on the eyes.

Additionally, a large tool set is required. Although i dont use photoshop that much anymore, I was constantly toggling between layers and using the main tool box. Isolating it to the top is good, due to the localization because of the file > edit etc. menus but it is hardly large enough to make it speed-effective especially in a large multi-layered document.

Ah, so would that be a good design then if they toned down the color?

It’s a brainstorm, it’s only been made in a graphics application at the moment. I can hardly believe its been programmed yet.

Wait, are you saying you think its been programmed? 'Cause its probably like you just said, it was probably only made in a graphics program…:confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

What is funny is that the Office 2007 ribbon is not too different from the Blender buttons panel - it just uses text instead of images for selecting the tab; and makes more usage of icons instead of text for the buttons.

LetterRip