Glass texture

Hey, I have created a character that uses a principled BSDF and it is a glass texture for the outer eyes. However, if you want to have the glass texture, but applying the character with that glass texture for the eyes to a game engine. Is it straight forward in terms of baking and applying in any 3d game engine?

does anyone know?

You can’t bake glass, it’s view-angle dependent. Set up glass in your game engine

1 Like

Okay, do i leave the outer eye mesh blank without texture when baking everything else?

You can export metallic, roughness and alpha values in formats like obj or fbx.
(EDIT: in OBJ metalic is problematic, see the post below)
You do not really need to bake them, they will export as single values directly from the principled shader (no need for an image).

It will not look and act like real glass (no refraction) but is better than leaving no texture at all.
As joseph says it is always best to set up the glass in your destination software but if you export it like this at least it should look something like glass to start off.

1 Like

Alright, that looks good! If you have, say metallic or glossy, will that too be the same case? and when bakin diffuse, should the glossy be turned off for each material? Maybe its not necessary

If you are simply using values in the principled shader yes, for fbx the principled shader will export the base colour value, the metallic value, the roughnes value, and alpha value.

Some programs do use flipped values for roughness and alpha so it does not always work properly.

Obj is a little more restrictive, base colour, roughness, and alpha should export properly but OBJ’s MTL file does not have a metallic parameter so metallic is exported as reflectivity this does not work well. FBX is better than OBJ.

To bake a diffuse image map you can set the baking options like this:

When you uncheck the direct and indirect light and just leave the colour checkbox on it will just bake the colour (with no lighting or reflections)

I recommend you search a tutorial for baking as it is a long subject.