Global Coordinates don't act like I thought they would...

I posted this in blender.org forums but didn’t get an answer yet…

I noticed only a few days ago that Global coordinates weren’t related to the global 0,0,0, but instead they were related to the object’s pivot.

For example, I have a vertex in coordinates X 30.0 and Y 30.0, but suppose I want to move that vertex to the Y coordinates of 2.0…
In Blender I have to input a value of:
-28.0 in Global coordinates.
-28.0 in Local coordinates.

In 3Ds Max I’d input:
2.0 in World coordinates
-28.0 in Local coordinates

Which makes it pretty much easier and logical in my opinion.

That goes to every coordinate system, Global, Local, etc. But especially Global and Local, they acted the exact same way. When I grab a vertex, the starting point is always 0.000 for all axis, which makes changing coordinates system useless for this matter.

So to move objects to 0,0,0 I need to reset the cursor and then Selection -> Cursor, or I must subtract the actual position of the object, which I don’t know what it is in most cases. This would be easier to do by just grabbing and entering 0,0,0.

Am I missing something here?

Well the transform properties panel (N) has both Global and Local position settings and for me work as you would expect when inputing vertex positions…

Richard

hmm… indeed. Never noticed that.
Thx very much.

But then again…, wouldn’t that be the way the “outside” Global coordinates should work?

Global vertex position = origin is the grid 0,0,0
Local vertex position = origin is the object pivot point

Sounds pretty logical to me and as far as I can see this is how it works in blender.

Richard

It does sound logical, but…

I make sure it’s set to Global, I select a vertex, press G and when I look at the numbers I only see Dx: 0.000 Dy: 0.000 Dz: 0.000 (0.000)
Same goes for every other coordinates system.
:eek:

The only transformation that really works as it should is the scale transformation. In the default cube it sais 1.000 on all the axis and if I type 0 they all center on the Global origin. Rotation always sais 0.00 and moving is the same.

Either somthing is wrong with my blender, or…
it’s 2.49 just installed 2 or 3 days ago…

it’s probably not something wrong.
are you talking about moving a vertex to an absolute position?
if that’s what you want, then go into edit mode, select the vertex you want to position, press N to bring up transform properties, press the “global” button, and input a position in the three fields below.
if you are wanting to do that with an object, then in object mode, open transform properties, and set the location.

I really noticed it on vertices. Probably I shouldn’t have generalized it in the first post.

But yes that’s totally the point. The transform properties make it possible, thank goodness, but I still think that having to relly on “pressing N, pressing the Glabal button, setting the coordinates” isn’t the most practical way.

Well, it is the most practical way,only because the coordinates systems are pretty much useless for this matter. The Global system should keep track of the “object’s” absolute position at all times, and not just in the transform dialogue box. They’re very usefull for moving a rotated “object” along it’s Local coordinates and that kind of transformations, but to move it to an absolute position, they are pretty useless.

I don’t understand why…

But ok. Will do anyway.

well also, you can select a vertex, press G, and hold down Control to snap to grid

Assuming it’s already on the grid… Otherwise you must snap it to it, and…
I prefer the transform properties.

There are numerous ways you can get your final result in blender. How you approach your final goal is all a matter of how you like to work and what you feel most comfortable with.

Richard

the transformation systems available from the drop-down menu in the 3d viewport (global, local, view, normal, etc.) aren’t really coordinate systems, they are coordinate ORIENTATIONS. So moving someting +1 on the NORMAL z-axis would move it on the z-axis of whatever direction it is facing, and moving it +1 on the GLOBAL axis moves it straight up, globally, etc.

You could mention this difference between local and global coordinates (and the workflow problems you’re having) to the developers. It sounds like a useful, easy to implement improvement, to me, and they’re all for useful, easy to implement improvements.