global help

Hi all. I have a cutscene between each level which is the same animation each time. How do I complete level 1, go to the cutscene, tell the cutscene to go to level2, then, when finished that level, go to the cutscene and tell it to go to level 3 etc. ?
I know I need a global of some description but python is beyond me :slight_smile:

Glenn

Make the cut-scene a “level” itself. After every level, load the “cut-scene level”.

Then, have the “cut-scene level” (after it “plays”) load the next level.

To keep track of what the next level should be, you should use a global variable. To assign a global variable in BGE Python, the syntax is as follows:

GameLogic.myVariableName = 0

Learn: http://www.blendenzo.com/tutBeginningBGEPython.html

Sure on top of being an artist and keeping on top of that. I guess my point is that we all can’t be good at everything and I realize my python (logical thinking/maths) skills are in the toilet. :no:
Whilst your information is brief (GameLogic.myVariableName = 0), I’ll try to work out how it all fits in and, more importantly, where it fits in.
Thanks for your time.
Glenn

Sure on top of being an artist and keeping on top of that. I guess my point is that we all can’t be good at everything and I realize my python (logical thinking/maths) skills are in the toilet. :no:
Whilst your information is brief (GameLogic.myVariableName = 0), I’ll try to work out how it all fits in and, more importantly, where it fits in.
Thanks for your time.
Glenn

hey dont worry about it, i sux at python too, but you and i are two of the few that have earned five stars for our blender demo (your duk duk, and my project echo apparently use little python). guess what were good at is good enough, but learnig something new cant hurt.
for my cut scenes i use cutscene levels with a count down timer to the next scene. it works very well once you get the timer right.

Heh, art and programming are not “everything”. It’s 2 things.

If you want to develop a game independently you’ll need to stop with the whole “but I’m an artist” excuse.

Also, the community is here to provide you with guidance, not to program your game for you. <- Something to keep in mind.

That’s the right attitude.

Good for you.

…Art is math…

Hell, I’ve learned a LOT of python since I started but I can’t know it all.
(Also, the community is here to provide you with guidance, not to program your game for you. <- Something to keep in mind.)
When did I ask for that? I don’t want people to program a game for me, I was jut asking for advice. Big difference.

Glenn

Who said you have to know it all?

When did I say you asked for that?

I just made a note that it’s something to keep in mind. Big difference.

Thanks for your help. Appreciated.
Glenn

…Art is math…
I’d put it more as “math is art”, but yeah…

also, as far as languages go, python is a very simple, intuitive one- I myself am primarily an artist but I can hold my own in python… mostly… (okay, so I wouldn’t call myself a master, but I don’t see any reason to be one)
now math, there’s a subject I’m lacking on. many a time have I ripped a bit of math straight out of someone else’s script (often Social’s, I owe a lot of my python knowledge to him [/suck-up]) and only realize why it does what it does weeks later…

my point I rambled away from is that something like python is very simple to learn, and it’s probably a very good thing to have at least one scripting language under your belt as a video game artist, especially if you’re making your own games. all it takes is a small amount of dedication, and some logical problem-solving. if there’s something you can’t do, we’re here for ya.

okay, I’ve babbled on long enough.

Your art on Duk Duk has more than proven itself to me that you’re a great art designer. None of us can be a jack of all trades without sacrificing some things, you’ll get the hang of scripting as time goes by.

So I was going to type this step by step explanation, but it just wouldn’t come out right. Instead I just made an example .blend for it. You can get it here http://www.box.net/shared/vklm2hfcw4.

Just poke around it to see how it works, then just learn from it and modify it to suit your needs. Good luck with your game.

Jason Lin

:eyebrowlift: Many thanks goldentaiji.
That looks really simple and exactly waht I was after.
Anyone following this thread with the same question I had, get this file, it’s a good one to learn from.

Glenn