Glossy Indirect problems

I’m a bit confused here. Why is the Indirect Glossy pass in Blender 3.3 darker than in Blender 3.6 (and Blender 4 as well).

On the left you can see the pass from Blender 3.3 and on the right the pass from Blender 3.6.

In 3.4 and 3.5, Cycles sampling has been improved. As a result, render may be brighter.
For adjustment, an Exposure setting has been added to Film panel, in Blender 3.5.

Well. In 3.4 the settings look correct as well.

So do I need to set the Exposure setting to a negative value? But that would affect the whole rendering not just the Glossy Indirect pass, right?

Well. All passes should be affected.
If it is not the case, you can try Exposure node from compositor.

But, that would mean that problem has another cause.
In your screen capture, size of indirect light bubble on one render does not match the other.
Maybe, that could be due to a change of Fresnel of Glass shader, in 3.6.

This is no glass shader. It’s a metallic shader. But all the materials in the reflections are affected, so it’s not shader related.

And I can’t imagine that it would be a normal procedure to put an Exposure correction between my render passes and the output node. I can’t imagine that everybody does that and that this is normal procedure. It has to be something else.

OK. I was confused because Principled Shader was modified in 4.
So, I was searching explanations, elsewhere, in release notes of pre 4 releases.

I read them too quickly and I missed the last point of Cycles release notes for 3.5.

The Diffuse and Glossy Color passes now account for the color of additional closures (e.g. the Principled BSDF’s metallic and sheen components), ensuring that the contribution is split into a color component (in the Color pass) and a color-independent light component (in the Direct/Indirect passes) as expected (73000c792d)

So, basically, Glossy Indirect pass takes into account info that was neglected in 3.3.
Maybe, that is less noticeable in that case. But Diffuse pass should also be different.

In that case, you have to adapt your shaders or your compositing set-up.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. That flew under my radar somehow. Oddly enough the old version was more convenient, but i will add the Glossy Color Pass in and see if it works.

I finally came around to test this. You now need to multiply the Glossy Color with the Glossy Indirect pass to get the same result as in V3.3.