GLSL as output to render, render nodes etc.

Anybody knows something about this? Is there planning to use glsl as render output, for render nodes etc?

That would be quite nice, could propably speed up rendering quite a bit…
How far could it theoretically be taken? Would it be possible to also:
-Adjust the hardware-based antialiasing for GLSL-renders?
-Get Normals, z, diffuse, specular and shadowbuffer passes from the GLSL renders into the compositor?
-Have the BI renderer only render rayshadow/reflection/ao passes for compositing into GLSL renders?

Is this only wishful thinking or could anything of it actually be implemented?:smiley:

cant you do this already? By ctrl and clicking(for animation) on the icon that looks like mtns and a sun. If you mouse over it says render this window. Its in the 3d window the farest to the right.

Please… Try this for anything serious? For example hd render or with many textures? Try…

True. But there is still the limit of the output resolution of the GL Card in the machine. Unless it’s software GL rendered. Or it’s specifically programmed to use that card.

On hardware it is possible to render tiles, as in software render. For example on X360 the only way to render in hd+antialias is the tile rendering.

no I agree need improvement but it is there.

Ah, true. +1 for request for this additional subset feature.

But honestly the game engine is still quite slow for yesterdays standards of view load. I would assume it will take yet another funded project to get speed progress up.
:spin: I am just spinning here. Cause thats the first thing I went after when this stable version came out, was to see if it’s yet possible to use glsl to render the view for things like fake water and whatnot.

Slow? Yes?
What do you think about this: http://www.etyekfilm.hu/ironsteam/ironsteam_01.jpg
This runs on my machine at 10 fps realtime…

But if I render it with internal render, the render time is 2 minute…

I think a 0.1 sec render is faster than a 2 minute render.

What do you thing?

Then, isn’t it just a matter of screen capture in the BGE?

Your thinking my same thoughts. Search if you want, getting the frame rate down to nothing is key, but speed compared to others is different matter.

I guess it’s just that I am on a Note book, mbp, that it’s to slow. I can load things but they take a butt load of time to load when the scene is full of stuff for blender in glsl.

But compared to games and another program called Unity which both run blazing in contrast, as well as OpenGL demos of voxels and other experiments.
Blender just taxes my machine.

No not quite. You missed the point for the nodes. It would tile this render, as well as creating passes, and all of the power that comes with the nodes for post compositing.

youngbatcat, I dont understand you…

But don’t the different graphics cards have slightly different output, which isn’t optimized for quality but performance. Or is the pixel shader pipelne always the same? I believe that the output of an nvidia isn’t the same as the one on an ati.

Eh, does not matter. It won’t happen till the end of 2.5 if at all.

So? And? I totally dont understand you…
All things has limitations…

That would be pretty cool, but it seems like since we can have GLSL real time…O well, why not have it? It’s just another option :smiley:

you have rendered version to compare with?
the picture posted, lacks lighting and mood.
it’s just lot of stuff together, with basic gamelike setting.

.b

this is only an example image for that I want to say…

Well I know it is not probably optimal solution, but if I want a ogl render, sometimes I use double resolution and then scale down to have antialiased picture. Of course, It would be really great to have a renderer based on GLSL.since the speed is really much better.

the problem is each card can take a different load of performance(resolution/shader passes, number of lamps…) But there could be a script which would take e.g. the lamps 1 by 1 and overlay the resulting frames…also a script could maybe split the screen to tiles, and render bigger resolutions in tiles…