Gnu / mit / gpl

is this the right place for this question? I hope so
I was chocked to read this on blender market: " Do I have to give my code-based product away for free?

No. The GNU GPL is focused on preserving users’ freedoms. Thus, you are at liberty to distribute (or not) the product as you choose. You’re also free to charge a fee for the product (or not). The GNU GPL does not put limits on commercializing code-based assets. If, for instance, someone were to contact you to request a copy of your code, you could respond in any of the following ways (and more!):

This can’t be correct ? the license very clearly states that you have do make the source code available.
I don’t say it is wrong to earn money on Blender, but you need to follow the rules.

You don’t have to release your add-on code. That is your choice. You can also choose to charge a fee for it. When you put something on blender-market it essentially is zipped python code which is free for you to mess with if you want. The GNU GPL part means that anyone can use (change) the add on or functionality it provides for whatever the user wants for as long as they want. basically no licensing terms that restrict the end user.

so what you are saying is that you have to buy it first, in order to access the code?

" When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things."

To be clear, I am not saying this because I want free software, I usally pay for the addons, because there are hard work behind them. I am not a programmer, so I am not going to change the code or distribute the code (iven if I have to right to do so). I think the right thing to do is to support the developers. But at the same time GPL is GPL

Everyone who has GPL software, needs to be able to get the source code for that particular version. The GPL also states how the source code has to be made available.

Everyone has the right to sell GPL software. As a consequence, you would only be able to get the source code, if you purchase the software, or if someone provides you a copy.