Go no further

I wanted to give the rough 3d kit bash base + Photoshop paint-over workflow a try, as I’ve seen so many fantastic art created with this technique.

But I ended up adding so much details in Blender that I finally kept it all 3d, as the paint over step was not required anymore. (aside for the sand storm)

The paint-over technique will have to wait for another piece, I just have to keep my urge to add details and endlessly tweak under control next time :slight_smile:

Software: Blender - Substance painter - Photoshop - Daz3d

Thank you to the generous 3D scan artists that have shared their models :
Benoît Rogez, MGD Films, The British Museum, Julian Johnson-Mortimer, Thomas Flynn, DigitalLife3D, noxfcna, dlfitch,RLA Archaeology, Ruslan Malovsky, 3dhdscan

Comments and critics welcome.
Connect with me on artstation: artstation
thanks!

16 Likes

Beautiful work! Trying to learn the same workflow and have exactly the same problem, except I’m even more behind, for some reason can’t start importing models and always end up modeling all the stuff :thinking:

Glad you like it thank you! What is your issue with importing models? I downloaded the one I used on this piece from sketchfab, CC0 attribution license and I did not have any issue.

Nah, it’s not a technical issue, more like ethical :slight_smile: Allways feel like stealing, yes I understand that its kinda archaic way of thinking. Especially when I see works like yours

Ah I see what you mean. Well for me it is about bringing my ideas to life. If it is with photography, 3d, photobashing, kitbashing, digital painting, to me they are all just tools to tell a story! As long as one is transparent and gives credit where credit is due, there is no cheating or stealing imo, just different tools :slight_smile:

2 Likes

totally agree, that’s why I’m trying to learn how to work with all those tools too :+1:

1 Like

First of all - beautiful work Karim! Very atmospheric.

I know both your ‘issues’. Not being able to stop creating stuff and details in Blender.
And preferring to model everything by yourself, like Daniil.

I started Blender, cause I saw so many cool, free models and thought it’s easy now to do a bit of CG with them. But as soon as I learned the basics of modelling, I wanted to do everything by myself. Costs me a lot of time. Must be a pride issue or something. :laughing:

2 Likes

thank you very much!

Well that is definitively not time wasted. And you should be proud of creating art from scratch, as there are a lot of different skills that have to be learned in order to do that. And you get to create whatever you want, without being limited to what is available online. Just different tools, but I think we all agree :grin:

If you guys want to have some fun with kitbashing I would recommend trying the Blender Sketchfab plugin. It makes importing kit bash models a breeze, you get to search for models directly in the blender viewport and you download them and place them in your scene with one click :ok_hand:

>Sketchfab blender plug-in<

1 Like

Thanks, Karim. I will definitely give it a shot. Tbh, the way you create is the way I want to create too, but damn I’m so easily distracted. For example yesterday I wanted to create a simple root for my scene I’m working on, and I was like “ok, I’ll give it 1-2 hours” you know how long I was sculpting that thing at the end? 12 hours including dull texturing :weary: :weary: :weary:.Was it worth it? meh, but at least I’ve learned something (or that’s how I’m trying to calm down myself):thinking:

2 Likes

Haha don’t worry I’m sure most artists spend more time than expected on a lot of things, at least I do too :grin:

The root looks great! The base shape is nice and so are the swirls on top. Let me know when you are done and upload your final scene

1 Like

I tagged this post #nsfw as it contains nudity.

Ah sorry about that I should have done it myself. So for next time add the “nsfw” in the “optional tags” section?

Yes please. Thanks for understanding! Personally, I don’t mind this image so much you never know where it’s being shown (think about teachers showing stuff in front of their class etc).

Of course makes sense will do next time :+1:

1 Like