Godot 4.2 released; A brand new era of FOSS game creation software

I would prefer to keep the drama that developed in the days afterward at bay (ie. not spreading to BA), so the only hint I will give you is that it was not due to running out of money, and that the shutdown was to the chagrin of the one who historically ran the place since the keys were passed down only two months ago.

2 Likes

Well, so long as there’s another site out there to take it’s place in the meanwhile.

Looking into it: It’s some real classic late 90s/early 00s forum drama stuff (it’s actually not all that different from whatsisface’s ‘Exposing the Loophole!’ thread here on BA, where somebody wildly misinterpreted a pretty clear cut legal/financial matter, and decided that somebody else was in fact a criminal. The main distinction being that whatsisface doesn’t own BA and lacked the power to shut it down).

2 Likes

Godot 4.1.1

Maintenance release: Godot 4.1.1 (godotengine.org)

Like usual, bugs slip through because dev. builds simply will not be tested near as much as official release builds. The aim of the first patch release is to fix as many critical issues and regressions as possible, so if something broke in your game better check this build out.

Meanwhile for those who can deal with being on the edge, the first snapshot of Godot 4.2 is out
Dev snapshot: Godot 4.2 dev 1 (godotengine.org)

It is a dev. build, so it will likely have more bugs and other issues than the patch release (even though you get some new features as well), please back up your projects before using it.

1 Like

The past few weeks I started to seriously experiment with Godot a bit. This was such an unfortunate timing, because most my questions were answered in ask.godotengine.org, which was down. I am so happy it is up again (though in read-only mode for now). :slight_smile:

My first impression is that it is a good game engine, but as soon as I start to dig deeper in an area, deficiencies become apparent quite quickly. What I am currently trying to do is to manually write to a texture, which I expected would be standard, but not really in Godot it seems…

Material Maker is made in Godot and it writes to textures just fine (with the Godot 4.x port ongoing).
Material Maker by RodZilla (itch.io)

Though it is rather uncommon to hear of writing to a texture being the first thing someone tries in a new game creation application, it might be that the related functions just have not been as thoroughly tested as much of the rest of the engine.

1 Like

Thanks, haven’t seen that one. That is likely very useful!

That’s what I wanted to say. It is a good engine, but it is not yet mature in various ways. When you are doing something uncommon, chances are high it is not well documented or it may not work.
What I want to highlight though is that I have a surprisingly hard time to adapt to certain aspects of Godot. For instance the whole concept of how the UI is made feels very unusual and less intuitive to me compared to Unreal and Unity. So it might be that the issues I am encountering are also caused by this.

I know I am a fringe user, as I am not focused on games, but one of the reasons I use Godot, is the UI nodes. Extremely adaptable when size or orientation changes on the fly, for mobile and the weird screen sizes my Raspberry PI projects use for local displays. The Godot editor is written/developed using the same UI nodes…

I also like that I can debug on my target devices and easily deploy to the platforms/apps I need for remote control/monitoring of my prototype devices. I work in the Asian market, where everything needs an app…

1 Like

It would have been cool if Godot had a visual / node based workflow like Blender. It takes a lot of time to learn another language.

There are at least 5 free tools which offer such options. Sadly, all of them have some catch. Something like Godot and code-free would be great.

I saw their deprecated visual nodes. It is just programming nodes, not logical. Trying to learn Godot for 6 months. Never made much progress. Given up.

Hi I approach gdot today. i previously used unreal engine.

My question is the following: Can I have shapekeys activated with bone movement like I was doing in unreal engine? Youtube video tutorials for godot show me how to do that with scripting, writing a pile of miniscripts when I want to use the keys.

This is insane and too tedious to do. For a character that has 70 shapekeys activated with bone movement automatically I would have to write 70 miniscripts in the character godot interface and this is depressing even to think…

In unrealengine I can just import a character click “import morph targets” and thats it, end of the story. Is it possible to do the same in godot just as is possible in UE? Otherwise I will have to rethink how I make characters if they end up being useful only in UE.

Godot, a free community-driven game engine, doesn’t have all the features of the largest commercial game editor in existence… more news at 11

Leave it to BA Crew to bully someone instead of answering their question lol

1 Like

This isn’t a Godot support thread or forum, there’s no obligation whatsoever for questions to be answered here, and this isn’t the correct place for questions to be asked.

I respect your opinion that my reply is “bullying”, but I gotta say… if you think that’s bullying… man, you are in for some nasty surprises about how people communicate with each other :grimacing: If you really think it’s inappropriate, then flag it, same as any other user

Lastly, I’m allowed to express myself as a person separate from any official statements. You will know when I’m acting as a moderator, because I use the orange staff background. No background, it’s just me as a person, and it has nothing at all to do with my responsibilities as a staff member

I just thought it was funny you would take time out of your day to discourage people from using the forums instead of helping them or at least say something a little bit constructive.

It seems they were actually genuinely overwhelmed by the prospect of having to write dozens of scripts for shape keys and were looking for an alternative option that they might not know about.

They dont even imply unreal is better, they just say it has a specific workflow for achieving this task. For all they know godot has a similar workflow that they cannot find or dont know about. They dont even say they will stop using godot and go back to unreal, they say they will have to adapt their workflow to make it work better in godot.

Im not going to reply to this anymore to keep the thread on topic

2 Likes

On the other hand… nobody would ask on a… let’s say car forum specialized to (to just pick an example ) Ford Motors how to do something with a :thinking:…hmm… a Suzuki motorcyle… !?

Well… there is a URL for godot and guess what… the do have a community…

…i guess maybe some user who use godot might know about this a bit more… maybe even some of the users of another game engine which is closer to blender… so UPGE and/or Armor… (something)…
…so the probability to find and answer here… is a bit small. But what do they say ? Hope dies last…

Don’t worry I do a test today or tomorrow. If it doesn’t work for morph targets activation then I discard it and default to uengine

I acquired the info. turns out that, godot current version, which is 4.1 will be totally able to have your blendshapes/shapekeys/morphtargets… But, if you want to activat them, you will write code. Its not that complicated, it is just tedious, boring. But it can be done, at least there is that. It should work.

1 Like

False. Youtube tutorials for godot are many. Fake also that people do not work on godot, its the third biggest most known game engine. Fake that you limit your development, you can learn gamemaking on godot or any other level editor. If you invest time learning c++, will it not be useful also for unreal engine?

I dont know about you but all my friends use godot, Im the only one on unrealengine too, because I was attracted by their big claims and their “insane graphics” and big tech like nanite and lumen and stuff. But godot is the best for pople who have low specs hardware, none of them will use unity or unreal. People with low specs hardware will use godot.

People with linux, will use godot 100% sure. Its the best to make steam deck games, it is a first class linux software, while unity or unreal sure work on linux but they fall behind compared to the windows edition. This is not the case for godot it is working amazing on linux, no feature is precluded, its blazing fast and works on your laptop.

2 Likes

You know that you are answering a six year old post… and even if all this is true nowadays… the other one just made up his mind back then… :person_shrugging: …and discussing about that also might… just make no sense… anymore ??

no I didnt know. I didnt check it out. Godot 4.1 came out recently.

i started using it yesterday and I verified already is capable of making some games, one of which I already started building.

By the way dont worry about muh industry… this sort of conern is very typical, it shoudlnt be a concern at all. When youre at a low level of understanding of games or 3D maker apps like blender it will not matter what you use. Muh indstry is never going to hire you anyway, and on that you can totally trust me. Nobody hires you if you just have an industry standard tool installed, nobody cares, not even I care about it.

As for godot, its going to provide you with means to finish games. It works. Its not that godot games do not work, they do.

While instead unity games for example, theyre bugged asf, janky scrolling, misbehaving touch events, huge size. Those made with the webgl wrapper are mega slow… The fact that “the industry” prefrs unity sohuld not be your concern, you should not care about it. If the game sucks it sucks even if its made by “the industry”…

While godot games are fine, they will run on steam deck just fine.

1 Like