Godot . Where are the 3D games?

yes, … Godot engine doesn’t have occlusion culling nor LOD, portals, zones…with integrated graphics it is very slow especially in fullscreen.
…but with a much power GPU is slow too…some guys they wrote that with a pretty strong graphics card they got a lot of low fps when they run the official ThirdPerson demo…Godot engine have a great workflow…develop ideas is pretty fast…version 4.0 will probably be better but now Godot is not very suitable for bigger 3d projects…I’m using now for my exploration project next MIT licensed engine …great Torque3d engine and even with my integrated graphics in the fairly large scene (terrain with large areas of forest, grass moving in the wind, falling snow and some particles ex. fireplace and a nice village with 8 wooden hats a lot better fps…practically I will not get below 32fps (32min-78max FPS)…while Godot with a small island with far less afforestation only 12 - 24fps max.

I tested Torque3D … a fan killer so i dont even want to test Godot if you saying that Godot is even slower. But the King Caesar Premium of Fan Killers is … Game Guru … waahh even with characters with no mouth and no fingers the game is like running GTA5 on a Pentium 3. Why a game like Skyrim runs far better than a basic game made with those game engines. ?

I have integrated GPU HD 2500…So if you have a better you can try Godot engine…Yes Torque3d…is not very fun and easy for beginners…mainly editor ui is’t modern but on the horizon is version 4.0 with pbr and better entity - component system which is great.
Skyrim was developed by big studio which mostly use their development environment and tools you won’t see elsewhere so the game is optimized to the maximum.

1 Like

Here’s a comparison with my integrated graphics and two projects in Godot engine - Island graphic demo and Torque3d - Red611 exploration horror game project (both projects- 1280x720)…pretty big differences in fps :open_mouth:

1 Like

Well this says it all…

Truly, why Godot isn’t optimized? I was trying to play some demos it has horrible fps most of the time even if demo is about simple cubes. There is not much sense to me to use Godot with such bad performance.

A few hints for using Godot’s 3D engine at reasonable framerates…

1. For Intel Integrated users, you can use the GLES2 backend. The graphics won’t be as great, but they will still look better than what the BGE has in 2.79.
  2. Turn off the high quality option when using GI-probes, a huge speedup will be seen even with higher resolutions, but the lighting will still be far better than with it off.
  3. Try not to use SSAO for now, it is very unoptimized and will bog down any scene if you want good quality. SSR meanwhile shouldn’t have a huge impact unless you have weak graphics or use ridiculously high settings.
  4. Split large level meshes, there’s no occlusion culling, but there is frustum culling and you can always use GDscript with triggers to hide objects.
1 Like

For the moment, my game on BGE runs perfectly well. I have no serious reasons to move to Godot. I hope the ‘Everything nodes’ (= Interactive mode ?) in the next Blender will provide a good replacement of BGE. The fact i can use directly my assets in BGE is just wonderfull. No fancy shaders can replace that.

I think that getting parralax corrected cubemap based IBL to fall back to, and adding SSR to upbge would likely surpass godots level of fidelity/speed.

When I tested this, GLES2 was slower than GLES3. Initially the response was:

There are plenty of scenarios where GLES2 runs slower than GLES3, so this is not a surprise and it’s completely to be expected

Which I totally disagree with. Anyway apparently it’s fixed now - but I haven’t tested GLES2 since then.

1. Turn off the high quality option when using GI-probes, a huge speedup will be seen even with higher resolutions, but the lighting will still be far better than with it off.
  2. Try not to use SSAO for now, it is very unoptimized and will bog down any scene if you want good quality. SSR meanwhile shouldn’t have a huge impact unless you have weak graphics or use ridiculously high settings.

In our tests: GI and SSAO probes run terribly slow even on a GTX1050 (our target hardware) at 1080p with sane settings. In my mind this makes them borderline unusable.
We ended up not using the internal SSAO, and because doing proper 2D filters isn’t really supported, (can’t read the depth texture from them) we ended up implementing a SSAO-like-thing using a sphere in the scene centered on the camera! Because objects in the scene can read and write to the depth and color passes…

But yeah, the SSR is amazing. I use it pretty much everywhere.

1. Split large level meshes, there’s no occlusion culling, but there is frustum culling and you can always use GDscript with triggers to hide objects.

Yup, sound advice

We’ve spent some time in Renderdoc investigating bugs (on our fork of Godot), and we discovered some things such as basic spatial shader has like 8 texture samples even without a texture! Just sampling from the environment, shadowmaps etc.
One feature from BGE that I really miss are the variance shadows. The only option they have are PCF smooth shadows, which result in either a crazy number of texture samples (slow) or jagged shadows. But they do have a proper shadow atlas system which works great in most cases.

There are some things about Godot I do like, such as multimesh instances and (after you’ve fought them enough) tool scripts:

Guy’s How Guud is GODOT?
Are they any AAA games Rockstar, Bethesda or Ubisoft level?

I recently downloaded the free editor for windows and im curious to start using it, well mostly playing around and just for learning as opposed to making actual games on it.

Can anyone brief me a little bit im curious to start learning more abt it!

Fred/K.S

First, show us the AAA games at Rockstar, Bethesda, and Ubisoft level done in UPBGE. Then I can be more confident that there is an interest in really assessing Godot’s abilities as opposed to just dropping bombs :slight_smile:

I do agree about SSAO as I’ve said before, but in my project, the levels run at 60 FPS with GI probes having the High Quality setting disabled (GTX 1060 6GB, so fairly mid-range).

If you have any ideas on how to optimize SSAO, there is nothing preventing a report from being written up for the issue tracker.

1 Like

Solo dev is one thing bge shines at.
This is not ubisoft but one man.

we could use some sort of a system to be able to manage changes over time to game files.
(to be able to revert to a older time in a project etc)

2 Likes

And I agree with that for the most part, but what makes Haidme so successful with these projects is that he is aware of the engine’s limitations and will scale his games to suit (this is something I believe he actually said once). That means you won’t find certain large-scale elements because of how the BGE has trouble doing it.

The BGE is definitely quicker for setting something up than Unity. There is a built-in advantage to engines that come with a small file-size, come with no need for an external IDE, and no need to press the compile button and wait before testing. However, Godot also allows you just write some logic and go, with the only real difference being the need to import your assets.

1 Like

but this is a thread about godot games, so why would anyone ask about bge games here?

cant we have civilized discussion without turning into an engine war all the time?

3 Likes

The chance of this thread becoming an engine war depends entirely on whether the BGE users want one.

As I mentioned earlier, it depends on whether this thread is an honest inquiry about an alternative to the BGE or whether the thread is here to set Godot up as a punching bag to justify the use of the BGE.

Lines like this (note the misspelling of ‘good’)…

could easily be taken for desire of the latter.

1 Like

i think the op is genuinely interested in seeing HQ games in this engine. as am i.

1 Like

That’s what I am also trying to do hey hey!!!
:smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Fred/K.S

Ok to be honest with u guys be it any Engine here i dont care at all, as long there are few games that can be played that’s what matters we need ore guys like @haidme using eitheengine to make fun nice morable games that will be remembered and played for a long long time to come.

It’s not about the engine it about making the game! (That’s all that matters)

Fred/K.S

1 Like

hm… i just wanted to start learning godot and also wondered about the somewhat lacking 3d game examples. i am glad i came across this thread.

the game i have in mind would be something like supertuxkart but i guess i will have to wait a year before i start. :slight_smile:

1 Like