Golden Gate Bridge

bluetygr: Thanks for the info :), yeah, I’ve seen terragen before, and while it is certainly capable of making great environments, I need the hills to fit in pretty precisely with the bridge and the surroundings. While I think you can paint custom maps to control the land forms in terragen, it would probably be easier to do it straight in blender.

tatasoka: Thank you :yes:.

Three new renders to celebrate the finishing of the main bridge :)…
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2717/im1233630356cd0.jpg
This one has a lot more artifacts than usual, but I think it has to do with the extreme lens angle I had to use to get this effect.

One all encompassing render ;).
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2387/im1233625901ln5.th.jpg

And a special fisheye test-render. With a big thank you to Migero, who created the actual lens model, and helped me out :D.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/43/im1233633434mb2.th.jpg

Wow, this is an amazing project. Sorry I can’t actually think of any crits, I just wanted to say how great it’s looking.

HOLY CRAP!
it’s looking better an better!
i REALLY hope you finish it!

wow this is incredible!

You should talk to the Golden Gate Transportation District about this. I was just talking to a guy there last week who told me that they are looking for some better graphics.

http://www.goldengate.org/

Great job!

ben&zymn: Thanks for the positive support :D, it means a lot.

greyoxide: That would be interesting to consider, would you happen to have any more specifics?

Starting ocean tests, Huzza!

Surprisingly the tiling effect isn’t that noticeable with the indigo render, so it should be a bit easier to get a good effect than I had originally thought. I haven’t tried it, but I am most likely going to use planes that are layered really close to get different ocean textures/patterns/wakes.

Used an older save to test the ocean with… The reflections are good, but the shadow is a bit crisp (not too sure I can do anything about that), I also need to intensify the color of the water.

Attachments

Nice work! I really like the setup on the last test (the one with the lower sun/light).

Not sure what to do with the shadow issue. If there was a way you could indicate that a material (namely the water) should not receive raytraced shadows, you could probably burn in the shadow with PS or GIMP. I’d be time consuming, but as shadows go, the one on the water is not that complicated.

Keep up the good work though, dude! :smiley:

Hey man, it’s looking really really cool so far, but I had a question about your ocean. Since my current projct will have need for a rather large body of water (Well basially it needs an ocean), I’m trying to find as many ways of creating good looking oceans and such. So I was wondering, how did you model your’s? Is it actually modelled or fluid modifier? (Also I use BI I don’t know if that has any effect on the water or not?)

Anyway it’s looking awesome!

Good model.

Instead of wasting time with indigo or Lux maybe approach finishing the scene like in this:

http://www.matteworld.com/film/2007/chronicles1.html

Click through the ‘see more from Zodiac’ there’s a few other Golden Gate shots.

Matte painting background from photos including maybe the water with this for a transparent layer over the photo of the water to animate it simply:

http://www.pekaro.de/blender/water/water_tutorial.html

Although your water test looks good. :slight_smile:

Alans cloud generator script for low level cloud.

Then render the lot with BI in a fraction of the time and get photoreal without long render times and noise from slow biased renders like indigo that even then will not give you anywhere near the polished finish you could get by doing it like the Zodiac.

You could then easily create an animation, a simple camera move over the bridge with BI again something indigo or lux will fail on. :slight_smile:

Indigo and Lux will cripple your possibilities.

This work is great! Incredible modeling and good details. Really inspiring! :slight_smile:

Its good watching this progress. The modelling is spot-on really impressive. What are your plans for the finished model, stills or an animated fly through?

bluetygr: That’s actually a good idea, while Indigo as far as I know can’t make certain objects not receive shadows, I could do some blur/retouching in post pro after the render, or potentially render the ocean and the bridge as separate images then combine them.

maul2: I sent you a pm.

yellow: Thanks for the link, it was interesting to see how they made the shots. I wanted to do something similar to what they did by putting an image of the city onto planes and since they’re far off you wouldn’t be able to tell. However I found out that Indigo does not support transparent textures yet. This brings me to the other point I guess, which is why don’t I use B.I. instead like you suggested. I guess part of the reason is that I suck at using B.I. :p. People have certainly mastered using it and have achieved near photo realistic results. However, I am not one of those people ;). I know that many people maybe view indigo as cheap because it takes the work out of setting up the lighting/environment. However there are a couple of reasons why I want to use it, first is that with a scene this size, I don’t want, or am able to, spend a whole lot of time on lighting, anything that can make the process quicker is good. Another reason is that Indigo can achieve photo realistic results, blender can too, but its easier with indigo, and with a scene like this, if it doesn’t look real, then you’ve kinda missed the target. You said that you couldn’t get a polished finish with indigo, not trying to disprove you or anything, but the last bridge render on the first page is pretty clean imo, although not perfect, that was only a ~2 hr. render, if I let it render for longer, I could have achieved a pretty much clean image. And considering that it is indigo, 2 hrs isn’t that bad. I don’t know about it crippling my possibilities, I guess I just look at it as a large challenge ;), not too many indigo projects are this size.

Namis: Thank you :).

robbur: Thanks, I actually plan to do many still shots, and then a quick 10 sec. fly around, which is kinda exciting since you don’t see too many indigo animations. This is only possible of course because I can get a clean render within ~1 1/2 hrs, although I might need to enlist the help of friend’s computers.

Finally got the real color of the golden gate bridge, yes!, can be seen in the 2 pillars, though not in the arched bridge. Updates won’t be as exciting from now on :(, more ocean tests, proved my idea of layering textured planes will achieve good results…
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5600/im1234232179jq5.th.jpg
You can see that I have switched planes in the background, although not perfect and kinda obvious (still tiles), this was only my first serious test, although to show that it works, there is a different textured plane in the bottom right corner that you can’t tell is there unless told so. The white caps around the fort are not turning out too well, although it only seems to have problems at certain viewing angles…
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7225/im1234233273eo6.th.jpg
Here you can see that with a bit of post pro, the border between the white caps and the ocean will be easily blended, plus with the addition of rocks/boulders, it wouldn’t be visible. If you look farther down though, you can see that it turns really glossy/light, so I did a test with the material as matt…
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3665/im1234234383fy2.th.jpg
Here it can still be blended in post pro, though I’ll need to do some major color corrections to the texture prior to render…

Any ideas on how to do the ocean efficiently yet looking good would be appreciated ;), still considering doing some displacement modifiers…

Forgot to ask the first time I posted. What will the final comp’s lighting situation be? Sunset? Nighttime? Midday?

Its gonna be a bunch of times/viewpoints, probably dusk/dawn, midday, and taken from a bunch of viewpoints such as aerial, on the road deck, from boats, from the shore, and some fisheye shots.

Hey, no problem what ever you do it’s all to the good. :slight_smile:

I don’t think of indigo as cheap or cheating, i think of it as expensive with regard to time and lost opportunities. It’s sad that the challenge is to get a few noiseless renders after 10-20hrs (at any decent resolution) and as near to photo real. Is that what concentrating on unbiased render engines does, lowers ones aspirations to getting a photo real image as noiseless as one can stand to leave a machine rendering for? That is the challenge? :slight_smile:

The reference to polished was not about getting a low noise/noiseless render but the possibilities with the scene getting a slick photo realistic animation out of using the same sort of techniques as with the Zodiac link making the most of your model. I would hazard a guess they didn’t use a unbiased render engine :slight_smile: or spent hours on lighting or even used GI.

Most of the Zodiac stuff I bet was a matte out of photos and basic texturing / lighting in a composite. I guess they rendered out the bridge in passes to get some control, then comped it with the background, added so fake volumetric fog and did a simple camera move on it, then rendered it scanline. The photo real came from the background plate (image or video) and a decent comp of the bridge, not GI or unbiased render engine. :slight_smile: And in the final renders/animation in a fraction of the time of Indigo per frame. :slight_smile:

Good luck. Great model btw. :slight_smile:

What I meant from a challenge was that making everything work together in a scene like this is something that I have not really previously tried before, let alone with Indigo. I think that if you were to use B.I. it would have its own unique “challenges”, every renderer is different, and I just have a preference for indigo :), that being said I don’t really mind waiting only 3 hrs for a clean render, I know of some B.I. renders that have gone on for much longer than that.

Ah misunderstood that, but yeah, they most likely didn’t use an unbiased render ;).

Like I’ve said, I have conisdered that, though part of the problem is getting a good image with a distance shot of the city that is a decent size and resolution.

Not wanting to start an argument or anything, just stating preferences/opinions.

This looks beautiful, as if it were painted by hand!

I love it :smiley:

This is awesome =o

bearchild/Godzilla 123: Thanks guys :D.

Sorry for the delay, loosing motivation and a boring part such as making the landscape makes a bad combination for progress. However some good news. After literally searching for 2 hrs for a height map of San Francisco Bay with no success, I ran across a mini tutorial for getting height maps and using them in Blender ;). The tutorial didn’t quite work anymore, however I managed to get the height maps, so now I have physically accurate landscapes, I don’t have to worry about modeling it, and my work load is cut down a lot. I have also done basic models for Alcatraz, however I doubt that it’ll be in the final scene.

An early test render with a basic texture. Eventually it will have roads and sprite bushes/trees (hopefully). This render also shows that at a low enough angle, the repetition in the ocean is no longer a problem. I have not started on the water/land intersection yet.

A checklist of whats left to do, for myself and for those interested…
Entrance ramps to anchors, model the bolts on the towers, model more sailboats/yachts/maybe cargo ships, Lime Point Light, this rock (click), textures, sprites (cars? people?), matching sun, testing nighttime lighting?, aerial view (though helicopter/airplane?), high poly cables for closeups, high poly walkways for closeups, perfecting the ocean, perfecting the hills, making the city (sprite?).
And just an idea ;)… Click

And a screenshot of the displacement map…

Attachments

This is looking crazy awesome. Nice job on the displacement map, too.

Its insane!!

Awesome ammount of work.Cant give any critics right now, but will definitely follow the thread.