Goldfishy. Any ideas how to make them scales?

A goldfish a put on the shelf. Couldn’t make them scales.

Attachments

You could use a cloud texture with vurouni F2-F1 as the noise basis.

That’s one damn good model for someone who doesn’t know how to do scales.

Answer: UV texturing.

Tried it all. Couldn’t get it realistic.I want them to stick out. I wish I had zbrush right now. And the zbrush skills neccessery.

I could do it the hard way. Actually to model the scales.

Great fish. Wow modelling the scales would be a huge task. I dont know if it would be worth it, the fish looks really good already. Do you have some renders of it with textures you’ve tried?

you could try a UV’d displacement map (with the mesh highly subdivided)

Bump mapping?

I had, but that totally ruined the fish.

you could try a UV’d displacement map (with the mesh highly subdivided)

With current blender… Not such a good idea. They are mentioning in an other thread something about real dismap for future blender. I could just wait with the scales.

I’m not dissin’ your ideas its just its so darn hard to make scales. Dismap or normal map cpuld do it. I’ll see if I can cook up something with gimp.

actually I’ve had some decent results with blenders dis maps and nor in combination (seperate maps)

here’s a quick an dirty example

I’ll try that. Thanks for the comments.

Nice fish :smiley: , here are my settings for scales :

Attachments

and the map to settings

Attachments

I’ll try that tonight. Thanks.

Well tried zbrush 2. Good program. Very easy to use. Here is my fishy with zbrush scales.

Attachments

That looks fantastic! Just one tiny point: I think the color is a bit off, it needs to be a little more like the Blender project: Orange. But that is just my humble opinion, the rest can only be prescribed in one word: “WOW!!!”

This is all I have to say:

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

By the way, I may not have mentioned:

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

That’s incredible. It needs a good water scene. Then it needs to go in to blender3d.org

I thought you said you didn’t have zbrush.

anyway, I don’t like the look of the scales. just my opinion. have you thought about some kind of dupliverts? i might post a concept later.

[edit]
sorry, I couldn’t get the mesh to show, but here’s a concept that gives you the idea. (If you do it this way, make sure that you have the fish subdivided to a good level, not subsurfaced. remember, the dup’s only appear at verts. also, you may want to use vert groups and different sized scales for the fish’s face, tail edge, etc. hope this isn’t too confusing.)

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1074/fishscales3ts.th.jpg

That was the first thing I tried. Didn’t work that well. Cause it didn’t look precisely like I wanted it to do.

xrqlz:thanks :slight_smile:

Skinny72: I see what you mean. I don’t feel like going on with this fish. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :stuck_out_tongue: