Good bye BGE - Let's see what will be the Interactive Engine

I stated Godot was a good FOSS game engine…or something to that respect…and FOSS = free and open source software…so WTF are you talking about? :slight_smile:

I’m not really upset…I just think you misunderstood me.

I think he was talking about this comment:

Either way I think that the interactive mode is a good idea, although it will be as challenging as trying to make the BGE grow.

People complain, but they stay as users of the BGE (me included), but just try to work on it.
This is what killed the BGE, the fact that so few people had to fork the BGE, and wandered so far away that its hard to come back to the original trunk.

edit: Good developers work their asses’ off to make something open to any n00b and artists to try and make a game. Thing is so easy at the beginning that people love it. Until they hit a wall the following days because the current design is really not good for game making -out of the box, without trying really hard to find a way-. Now 99% of the user base are not devs, and the thing collapse on itself and the people it brought, because lack of devs -by dev I mean people competent enough to change the source code and that believe in Blender with a GE-. But as Ton said it was already too late when UPBGE appeared because the GE is almost fully independent from the Blender core… RIP.

And as people said, if people want to keep going on the BGE you can fork UPBGE, and try to rebase it on Blender from time to time in order to try to benefit from both world (good luck with the upcoming merges though).

the reason they forked the engine in the first place was no one was approving bge patches

(they would just stagnate and rot till they were too old to be applied)

As I said, who cares!? I’ve been working in enough AAA companies( most of them you know, very well.). Half are using engines not updated since 2009 and still noone cares there…they just make games and sell them and make huge profits. Because the game is what matters, not the engine.
And on top of that…just a reminder of the graphics for one of the top played games ever:
Unturned:

I’m really laughing out loud, seeing how many people are just complaining of features missing in an engine they never use for anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

This totally looks like the Godot project is caving in on itself.
https://github.com/godotengine/godot/pulse/monthly

64 contributors, 207 patches merged, and two official patch releases in the last month (as of today). Many people who are making pull requests are using Godot to make games as well (and here’s a fact, the vast majority of the userbase for any FOSS project will not touch the source code). Also, Godot has paid developers working on it now thanks to the success of Patreon goals.

I do acknowledge that UPBGE was going strong for a while (comparable to when the BGE peaked late in the 2.4x series), but if the entire project is dependent on one developer in his spare time, that can be a risky thing.

Brilliantly said there haidme i supoort your statement i hope yr not leaving because im not in the future id like to work in one of yr projects if yr still using UPBGE.

Fred/K.S

Hmmmm as a user i dont care if he abandons upbge he did an amazing job now users just have to use it and work around its flaws to create great content with it.

Its not like we’re going to praise the Game Engine and boast with it we’re just users tryina create Quality content with it !!!

Fred/K.S

At the End of the Day it all boils down to 2 questions:

• ARE YOU MAKING GAMES FOR THE GAME ENGINE TO BOAST AND SHOW OF ABOUT IT?

• OR ARE YOU JUST TRYINA CREATE GOOD QUALITY CONTENT, THAT PLAYERS WILL KEEP COMING BACK TO FOR A LONG LONG TIME TO COME?

Thats all you gotta ask yourself as a user/Developer !!!
(Even if it means that the owner abandoned its development but the resources are there and they’ll never dissapear unless they shelf it and archive it.)

(But if you’ve decided to make games for the game engine you are setting yourself up for dissapointment hence all these people are leaving BGE, good they must leave if they want the good guys wil stay and create quality content.)

Fred/K.S

I myself, just want to make a game that I want to play…regardless of what others think…If no one like Myrlea when I release the Beta…I’ll still make it :slight_smile:

Godot is a fantastic engine…no engine is perfect…BGE sure wasn’t/isn’t but the engine does not make the game good or bad so it is utterly irrelevant.

So TLDR from my perspective:

-BGE is being replaced with an “interactive mode” that trades performance for ease-of-use
EDIT: We don’t know whether or not it’ll have game logic. Hopefully it does!
-We don’t know when it’ll be ready
-Godot is most definitely open source

For most of us this “interactive mode” is prob–hopefully a good thing. For everyone else: Do a logical analysis and pick whatever engine best suits your particular project.

Still lots of speculation I guess.

On a side note, try not to get worked up too much about tech demos, they’re just that, demos. They’re there to show off the potential, a lot of the times its not practical.
99% of the time they’re not representative of what an actual game would look like on the engine.

with bge can create good games and beleive the eevee
will start ob the future out of viewport to export to run time and may to android may be on 2019

@haidme. Not really drama, but I just wanted to prove I was right…?
@billyz…Yes, I agree. BF’s success is very important to me aswell. There is absolutely nothing wrong the BGE in my opinion. They just need to polish it and love it a little bit more to be as good as UE4 or Unity. I mean, I prefer BGE because I feel like I am making my game and just using the engine for graphics other than letting UE4 or Unity make it for me. If that makes sense?

Edit: And the fact that it’s python makes me smile. Python is an important language.

Good bye BGE?

• Ton traitor. :mad:
    But maybe the new version of the GE Eevee will be better - there is always a place for aging. Time will tell… :yes:

Personally, I would not want to face new graphical twists, but the cutoff of the functional - API. I think Ton is an intelligent person, will cope …
And yet, I have not seen games that have realized the potential of the current BGE … even though it is a little outdated (BGE). I will be satisfied with the oldschool games - Half Life 1 and 2, Quake 2, Doom 3, but only with improved graphics, and BGE 2.79 will cope with it.

@Nik Manchul

I have not seen games that have realized the potential of the current BGE … even though it is a little outdated (BGE).

Waauuuuuuuuutttttt?
Go and check under You Tube / BA Finnished Games Section / (WIP) Works in Progress and demos !!!

There are current projects that are going to be awesome Blender Games very soon its only a matter of time before they can be finnished. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Thats your Ignorance for not following up on Blender Games being made or that were finnished !!!)

Fred/K.S

Ton does not like playing games thats why bge will get removed, and interactive mode aint tool for game developers but another tool in movie pipeline.

Basically another CYCLES huh?

FredK.S

From what I’m gathering, this “interactive mode” isn’t meant for game development on the scale that BGE is. And that’s a depressing thought.
BGE is all I know. If it officially dies, I might actually give up on making games altogether. :confused:

interactive mode will still open the door for further development…it’s not all bad. Do not misunderstand me, I want BGE in some form to stay…or to phrase it better, a dedicated GE inside Blender. But we have no one to blame but ourselves…if no one steps up to make interactive mode more akin to a game engine it’s our fault…BF does not really owe us anything…I’m as upset as the next user, but none of these conversations will take us anywhere…sorry guys.

and Ton never said he does not like games…I think at one point he said something to the fact that he does not play video games…but that is not entirely the same thing…please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but he also does not do modeling and animation…so…what was the point of the statement by pachupp earlier anyway?

Like I’ve gotta be honest, this is just pushing me to leave and go learn Unity or something. I can’t code C# or Java to save my life but a friend found a python plugin, I hope it works.