Good for health ... bad for education!

For the longest time, I always wanted to give tribute to one of my most biggest sources of inspiration, a cinematic and literate milestone that would inspire millions of artists across the years, Akira!

The work of Katsuhiro Otomo has plagued my mind for a LONG time now, having watched the movie and read the manga multiple times, I keep seeing it again and again as references in movies, comics, songs etc…

So this is my way of throwing my tiny, practically insignificant hat into that pool. I made a looping animation with concepts taken from the original source material

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The colors Blue/Red have been prevalent in most of the references I found while studying for the project, I also wanted to use the pill somehow, so I split the render into two sides, a blue one that emphasizes the mechanical aspects of the source material

Screenshot 2024-04-11 232457

And a red one that displays the organic and gory side of the story

Screenshot 2024-04-11 232513

I still needed the pill to be the main focus of the shot somehow, so I gave it some love, without a doubt its the piece I’m most proud of in this project, especially the left viscous gory/organic procedural texture that turned out better than I expected

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The project itself has gone through MANY phases before I settled on this one:

References:

If you made it this far, thank you so much for giving checking my render out, and of course C&C are always welcome!

For the rest of my work: Nagy samuel :: Behance/ ArtStation - Nagy Samuel

And beware!
… Akira still lives among us!

2 Likes