good speech-to-text freeware?

Where is some good speech-to-text freeware?

Thanks!

Come on! I really want this!

I was going to answer the wrong question before

there is no good free application that will convert speech (audio) to text

there are a plethora of programs which go the other way

I think lots of people do because if you can imagine when lip-syncing an animation, all you need are the visemes from speech and the matching timeline. Then, hey presto, the lips can automatically sync with the audio because you just key visemic representations along the timeline according to the extracted text, with a little tweaking perhaps.

The trouble is that speech is so varied with dialects etc. that it’s hard to write software to do it well. I think the most popular speech to text software is IBM’s viavoice but it’s not free and I don’t know how good it is: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/voice/viavoice/

I think lots of people do because if you can imagine when lip-syncing an animation, all you need are the visemes from speech and the matching timeline. Then, hey presto, the lips can automatically sync with the audio because you just key visemic representations along the timeline according to the extracted text, with a little tweaking perhaps.

The trouble is that speech is so varied with dialects etc. that it’s hard to write software to do it well. I think the most popular speech to text software is IBM’s viavoice but it’s not free and I don’t know how good it is: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/voice/viavoice/[/quote]
dragon, naturally speaking [or somesuch] is considered better, but is also not free

but, as for lip synching, supposedly the tools for half life 2 [part of the SDK, not softimage XSI] will include a lot of that, I guess we’ll have to wait a while to see how well it really is though (at the very least, we know now that it does require tweaking)

ms-word can do it on XP
but you end up with a lot of funny surprises
just look for speech recocnition in your help and tec. support…it works if you speak clear and not to faST nor to slow
actually its faster if you type cause you dont have to go through the whole text anyway to make corrections [>]

not to mention that the xp speech recognition make stuff up. you dont even talk and it starts writing stories about monkeys :slight_smile: