GPL Discussion

Sigh…

1. Your comment “So why does a Modo user bring up Blender-GPL as a problem?” is completely unnecessary and it only undermines any argument you are trying to make. It not only makes assumptions about the user but implies an “us vs them” situation with regards to the software.
    Stop it.
    It does more harm than good.
    This was written for you, its a good read if you want to boost Blender’s image rather than damage it: How to Be a Positive Member of the Blender Community (don't be a fanboy)

2. BGE? Irrelevant. I didn’t even mention it, nor do I care about it. Lets not make assumptions to fulfill confirmation biases or seek to create a straw man to target. This thread is not even strictly about GPL, or my use of X software for that matter,…please try not to shift it in a completely irrelevant direction.

3. Since this thread is not about GPL on its own, lets get this out of the way so that it doesn’t have to go on ad infinitum. Going back to my post regarding GPL, I clearly stated this:

Thus, it is not that open source is bad, but that GPL is not a good license type for Blender and the industry/market it is part of…especially as it relates to future growth potential of Blender. As Ton himself stated, “Blender’s GNU GPL license is sometimes considered restrictive, since we can’t link to or include non-GPL-compliant software.”

I ask again why Cycles would move to Apache 2.0 if GPL is the ideal choice? Why would MIT be the most common open source license type (over double that of GPL)? Developers are NOT making these choices for arbitrary reasons.

For the sake of articulation, I’ll post what Lawyer Joseph Morris said regarding the GPL license:

GPL is risky for a lot of companies, many who would also be developing their own closed source tech. Take Allegorithmic and their creation of “Substances” for example. It can safely be integrated into Maya, Modo, Unreal Engine, Unity…ect but then it gets tricky if Blender users want to see a plugin for it in Blender. GPL is then a bigger deterrent rather than an incentive. It makes it more difficult to play nice with everything that exist in our industry, and instead isolates it into a world of its own to varying degrees. Do you want Blender to exist within a bubble?

You can be all for open source software/“open formats”, but it would be simply foolish to think that the world of open source is some how tied to GPL and GPL only. OpenCOLLADA for example is licensed under MIT. Again this is not being done for no reason. If you want more software to adopt “open formats”, do you think they can or will if they were licensed under GPL?

Use your head. Know the difference. Be professional.

1 Like