GPU rendering guidance for Mac OS Mojave?

Hi I recently changed employers and am learning Blender after coming from Cinema 4D and am not the most technically verse so please excuse me of any parts are obvious.

I downloaded the 2.83.1 version of Blender and am going through their video tutorials and am in the. rendering section. My company provided me with a 2019 MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz Intel Core i9, 32 GB 24000MHz DDR4 and a Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB and Intel UHD 630 1536MG graphics cards). I’m still familiarizing the differences between Evee and Cycles rendering engines so again excuse my lack of knowledge but I noticed when I switch to Cycles and select GPU Compute as the device option, it becomes greyed out.

When I go to System Settings in Blender preferences, and select CUDA as the video tutorial suggested, it says “No compatible GPUs found for path tracing. Cycles will render on the CPU”.

I then found these two previous posts, which if I read correctly, is saying Mac users won’t be able to render in Cycles via a dedicated GPU. So does that mean any renders I do in blender will use my Intel graphics card and not the Radeon Pro Vega?

I’m not a main 3d illustrator but do need to use it from time to time and I’m trying to understand what this means for how I should go about with render workflow so if anyone has knowledge I’d appreciate it.

Cycles for Mac will only use your CPU to render. To use your GPU you will need to use a different renderer, such as Radeon ProRender.

2 Likes