Graphic card - which one should i use? GTX 1050 or GT 1030

HI, I’d like to know which graphic card works well with Cycles Render.

I intend to buy a GT 1030 but I dont know if it is for this renderer.
Can you help me?

The card you probably want to buy in that price range is the 4GB 1050 TI, the other models have too few VRAM and the 1030 is not really indicated for renderings, having only 2GB of VRAM and a 64bit bus.

1 Like

Take a look at this GPU benchmark to compare.

2 Likes

Hi.
GT 1030 is slow and has a small amount of vRAM, do not buy it. GTX 1050 is a bit better in speed but still has small amount of vRAM, which makes it unusable for Cycles these days. “GTX 1050 Ti” is a good start with good speed and 4GB of vRAM. GTX 1060 with 6GB vRAM version is ideal if you can stretch with your budget. Be careful here, because there is GTX 1060 with 3GB vRAM version that you should not buy.
Just out of curiosity, what CPU do you have?

2 Likes

No, please, Blenchmark results can be inaccurate:

These are few, but more accurate:

1 Like

oh, i got it
i dont have a lot of money so i’ll choose the 1050
Thanks

Thank you
i’ll take a look

its for a new one with i5 7400, 8gb ram…
i’ll buy it this month and here in Brazil GPU are expensive, so i research for tips before i bought

My recommendation, you keep saving a little more money until you reach the 1050 Ti. 2GB vRAM is not good for Cycles, you will have many problems.
Or you see buying a second-hand GTX 960 4GB vRAM version, but I’m somewhat skeptical to buy used graphic cards. GTX 960 also comes with 2GB vRAM version, you should look for 4GB vRAM version.

Probably you get similar render times between GTX 1050 and your CPU in complex scenes, that is, you will not get gain with GTX 1050 over your CPU. Which is another reason to continue saving money until you can buy at least GTX 1050 Ti.

3 Likes

If I’ve understood that correctly, she doesn’t have a GPU at all at the moment, I don’t know how good an Intel iGPU would perform in this case.

Why not getting a 8400? The price should be about the same as the 7400, but you gain 2 more cores.

so should i always look for more memory, right? starting with 4gb
What about the bits? 128 is it okay?
I’ll try to wait to get more money or the prices will decrease

ps: the 1050 ti 4gb i’ts like $230

Thank you for your help

yes, i never used any gpu

the price of i5 8400 its ok but the cost of motherboard makes my bank account cries

1 Like

If you want to be able to fit your scene, with all the textures into the graphics card memory, yes.

I think that at the moment there are is no way to share your computer memory with the GPU to do renderings.

There’s also another option, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, its iGPU is as fast as the 1030, you just need to save some more and you can get the 1050 TI or a 6GB 1060, it’s definitely faster than the i5 7400, both in single thread and multi thread performances.

Though, this has to be investigated better, to see if its iGPU driver are safe to use for 3D.

1 Like

@SonicBlue, I was referring until the money can be reached for 1050 Ti. Therefore, intel iGPU will work relatively usable with 2.79, but not good for 2.8 and Eevee. Anyway with 2.8 and Eevee will also benefit from a good graphics card when she can raise the money to buy it.
i5-8400 seems better at almost the same price.

Yes, it is.

BUS only does not determine speed. The speed is determined by a set of factors. Good benchmarks are the best way we have to see results. You simply see render times in GPU benchmark results I have posted above.

2 Likes

Well, generally, with the same kind of graphics card, the one with a larger bus, is the fastest, having a larger memory bandwidth, also it helps to identify which card is which, as it seems Nvidia is trying to sell defective chips cutting down the VRAM, the 3GB 1050 looks like a defective 1050 TI in fact.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t get the GT 1030 unless you are really strapped for cash and just need something that works until you can afford better hardware. Not only is it the weakest unit in the Pascal lineup, but it also has memory that is slower and older than GDDR5 (meaning everything about it will be slow compared to even the GTX 1050).

If possible I would gun for the GTX 1060 6GB, it’s actually the most commonly owned GPU according to the data from Steam (meaning it’s a safe bet that developers of many apps. are wanting to make sure it runs with their software well).

1 Like

thank you

I already gave up on GT 1030

1 Like

If you don’t mind missing CUDA, rx560 4gb is also decent option for low price.

I run an EVGA 4GB GTC1050ti SC and am more than impressed with it. It requires no added power connectors and runs happily on a 450W psu. I’ve even seen videos of it running in an off-the-shelf PC with a 300W PSU. Runs pretty cool as well unless you overclock it hard.

UNUSABLE? A 1050ti might not be the absolute best scenario, but it is absolutely usable. I used blender on a macbook pro from 2012 and I had no problem with it until I had to render scenes with hundreds of thousands of tris. It takes almost nothing to run blender, and unless you have absolutely massive scenes, it’s absurd to say that a 1050ti isn’t enough to process the sort of things that blender deals with.

1050ti is just fine for large scenes, but if you have to add lots of foliage or particle effects you might have some small amount of wait time for the samples to clear up.