grass in cycles

That wierd affect you’ve put in doesn’t work. I looked at the advice you were given and it looks like you’re trying to achieve some atmospheric fall-off. That’s really easy to apply once you understand how the ‘Map Value’ node works.

The map value node uses the Z output and a few settings on the node to generate a fog affect.
In the compositor, go to Vector > Map Value. This will add it into the compositor.

The ‘Offset’ determines how far away the fog will begin. You need to decrease it into the negative numbers to make it start further away. The ‘Size’ decides how soft the transition is from the render to the fog. The lower the size, the softer the transition.
The Maximum and Minimum values decide the most amount of fog possible and least possible. I reccomend ticking the boxes but leaving both values at 1.00 and 0.00. Tickng both boxes prevents the colours from the map value going above 1.00 and below 0.00 which is possible. Having colours outside the 0-1 boundaries (known as Super-Bright and Super-Dark colours) can really screw up a render.

All you need to do once your happy with the fog is place it into a mix node as the factor and then combine your scene with a colour you can just change in the mix node. You can also set the blend type to screen. That way you can further control the opacity of the fog. Darker colours make it less visible.

As for the rest of the scene, it’s coming along nicely. The stones and rocks are still the main flaw in the scene. They need more definition to be beleivable.

Also, the scene looks fairly small. It looks as though the grass ends suddenly and there is a massive cliff-drop behind it. If that’s the sort of thing you’re going for then no need to fix it because you’ve done it well.

The first images with taller grass looked better. When you shortened it, it looked more like moss. The only mistake in the length of the grass was, that it didn’t seem to get smaller in distance. The grass right next to the rocks looks perfekt to me, but the grass next to the left tree should not be distinct blades since it is way to far. Did you fake the distance in the scene?

@ @Wireheadking

thanks for your reply, very useful! In this Render i only took care of the grass, i didnt render the trees and rocks and ended up with this Image:

The lighting seems a bit off, too overpowered and if you’re going for an evening look I recommend more orange and increase the brightness. The shadows seem too buffered (i think?) if its evening the shadows would still be a bit more visible. I would also flatten the grass a tad.

Otherwise looks fantastic!