Graswald - News and Work in Progress

That looks really nice.

This looks very promising!

I am in. Looks great!!

looks good indeed. Is there an open beta test?

Not sure about that yet, I will discuss it with Kareem, who’s the lead programmer of the pack. For now take a look at this forest ground, made entirely with the new debris assets as well as some old dead leaves assets:

Wow, everything looks fantastic! I think you’re building a very nice foundation for these types of things.

It might be an interesting feature to use a shapekey for adjusting the structural integrity of the plants to coincide with the aged textures. A simple slider control to adjust the bias, along with a random factor to add more variety. This way the older plants won’t have the same structural appearance as the younger versions.

Also, for future ground assets, you could include seeds, nuts, fruits, and dead branches. Different trees will have different things under and around them (i.e. pine needles and pine cones).

It was originally planned to implement that, but it is very hard to do that practically, as the mask for the dead stuff has to be exactly the same as for the shape keys, otherwise you get weirdish things. I solved this in a way, that, at an old age, the color gets yellow and stuff, less roughness, different bump, but the shape doesn’t change, as that’s something you can observe in nature as well. For some species (e.g. dandelion, ribwort plantain) I then added a dead particle system, with brownish color and completely different geometry. You can see it in the render beneath, it’s only ribwort plantain, the ground is fully covered with dead ribwort plantains, this will be pretty cool when combined with debris assets, or on streets, where the dead leaves can’t decompose that easily:

Can’t believe i’ve only just seen this thread. This is some incredible vegetation! The shading is stunning

Thank you so much! I’m currently working on the color correction of the grass. 5 different species in their base variant:

(Wall Barley, Creeping Bentgrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass and Orchad Grass)

For everyone who ahs not seen it on twitter: I added the weeds, to see if they fit with the grass

I have to say, I’m quite happy with the outcome!

Very nice!

I’ve been working on the age Settings for the grass and it’s coming along very nicely! The following renders were created within 5 minutes, all I did was changing one slider to get the different result (age 0.5- age 1)

I also created some generic grass blades (dead, old, green) for further artistic Control, whenever you want to achieve a specific look or Need one blade of grass somewhere for matching references. They work really great in combination with the other grass species!

Is this for sale yet?

oh my gosh and how much is it going to be?!

We’re working hard on it, I hope we’ll be able to release it in January! Current plan is 69$ but it might change :wink:

I respectfully suggest two options, the full works, all plants for whatever price. But also a reasonable ala carte option. To procur a plant as needed.
For example, Right now I need Pine needle and moss groundcover. So I copied your node layout for the moss. Outstanding by the way. But your actual moss is peerless

I like that approach, although I’m not sure if blendermarket would support this kind of option…

no drama. Thanks for the reply. I am definitely in for a purchase. I just finished some ground cover using another grass download. its good but takes a lot of time to get the coloring and density and randomness of generation to look right.

Also reviewing your work creating the various species is extensive. A lotta hours. but very detailed outcome.
you are doing with plants, what I’d hoped someone might do with birds. A 3d bird collection.

Redid the moss. 3 different species, one more to come: