Great Books

I’m reading the Da Vinci Code at the moment and think it is good but overated.

I liked the Dune series a lot. And my username comes from Tolkien’s Silmarillion.

I recently enjoy George R. R. Martin’s “A Game of Thrones” and I would read the sequels if I had the time.

We’re reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in my American Literature class and I’ve rarely encountered something so innocent yet so satirical.

All time favorite: Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut Jr. Good eye, Skottish. :smiley:

Re-reading now: Princess Bride by William Goldman. Silliness at its absolute best. If you liked the movie you’ll only love the book.

But there are really too many great books to list.

I’d have to say that my favorite book ever is 1984. Without a doubt, I simply love that book.

Michael Crichton is good; I read Sphere last weekend. My English Literature teacher made lots of weird noises when I told him I read a Crichton so I asked him what I should read. I think we agreed Moby Dick would be a really good one. That or Great Expectations.

I also started 20000 Leagues Under the Sea but never finished it for some reason (speaking of Sphere)…

I also really liked The Forever War and K-PAX. Both are very fast, but very good reads.

-Laurifer

This Mark Twain story is actually one of the most clever stories I’ve ever read. It was very frowned upon when it was originally written. I’m sure that hasn’t changed much.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/twainlfe.htm

It’s one big HTML page, so copy and paste will do wonders.

Two books I enjoyed reading, were Bill Bryson’s “A Short History of Nearly Everything”, a general science book, and “In a Sunburned Country” (US) / "Down Under " (UK (and Norway)), a travel book about Australia. They’re quite humorous from time to time, but also contain lots of interesting stuff about their respective subjects. (That said, I’ve forgotten almost everything.)

Richard Herrmann have written some books about British royal history that are quite good.

“The Da Vinci Code” was very good, and you should all read it if you haven’t.

Currently, I’m reading “The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide”, a total of six stories by Douglas Adams. I haven’t really read through even the first one yet, but so far, it’s quite funny. Adams seems to seriously hate commas, though.

I absolutly love the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I just have a little question. I always call The Hobbit the first book in the series. Is it? Or is it just a prequel to the series?

All dragonlace series!
Wheel of time series
The Talisman by stephen King
Tommorow when the war began series

Also the warhammer 40k books were pretty good.
atleast I thought.

The Wheel of Time is amazing. It’s been a wile since I’ve read that one. Has anyone played the paper and pencil?

I believe it’s a prequel.

Fingerprints of the Gods - Graham Hancock
Riding Logic - Wilhelm Museler
Cien anos de Solidad - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

%<

I believe it’s a prequel.[/quote]

The order of writing, is, if I remember correctly:
The Silmarillion - sort of, he wrote a lot of it before the others, but then other parts were made afterwards. Overall, it’s first.
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings - Notice at the beginning the Lord of the Rings was pretty silly just like the Hobbit and then it gets serious really fast right as Tolkien realised that he could use LoTR to tie Hobbit and Silmarillion together. Gandalf from the Hobbit became the character of Mithrandr from the Silmarillion and the Necromancer from the Hobbit became the Sauron that we know and love, originally just a lieutenant for Melkor from the Silmarillion. You can even catch some references to the valar in the LoTR books and (gasp) movies.

Maybe I’ve got it messed up, but that’s what I remember. It’s been awhile though.

Tell us about it.
[/quote]

welllll, kind of hard to explain without giving it away too much, but this is the basic premise:

university students actually built the babbage machine (first concept of digital computing) and used it to compile data. as their database expanded, and their computing power increased (being always several steps ahead of the latest and greatest), the “babbage society” start seeing predictable curves in thier data, and pretty much use it to roughly predict the future. united german powers, slavery in the US, that kind of carry on, and make “adjustments” to the course of the world. But the book is set in modern day, about a girl who kind of figures it all out and stuff. really really good read.

I stand corrected. I found a little biography after reading your post. Section four pretty much sums it up:

I was mostly right but I’m still not sure whether the Silmarillion or Hobbit came first. I think they were both ideas floating around in his hand and in his writing around the same time entirely differently.

my favorite would have to be “Elantris” that or “Enders game”

I have a request, when you tell us what your favorite book is, could you also tell us what kind it is (eg. science Fiction, fiction, ect.) and also a bit about the story line (no spoilers)
my reason for asking this is because I am in the midst of looking for a few good books to read and I think I may have found a good list right here.

Love that one, Ender’s Shadow and it’s sequels are some of my favorite books ever!

Well, technically The hobbit is a prequel to LOTR and the Silmarillion is sort of like an overarching history of middle-earth. Actually I haven’t read the Silmarillion yet…

[Edit] I forgot to mention Douglas Adams. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is awesome! :slight_smile:

I can recomend Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft too.
Both of them wrote mainly short stories, but they both wrote atleast one novel.

Howard is known for Conan, but his other chracters are fun too. His Solomon Kane shorties are great and Kane probably has more personality than some of his characters, as he was the first.

Lovecraft is know for short and effective horror writer. He still is better than most horror novelist of today.