Gretel

I am very glad that I had a chance to contribute to the “Hansel and Gretel” artbook and to work with this wonderful design of Gretel by Disney animator Carlos Luzzi.

The most difficult thing for me was to maintain a sense of balance in the pose but, at the same time, maintain all the life and not make it too stiff. For this, it was important to follow the contrapposto in the design – the opposite tilt of the shoulders and hips.

Another important aspect of creating Gretel’s model was following the Simple vs. Complex principle. This is especially pronounced in the character’s dress. From one side, it is a simple line. From the other side, it is a complex shape created by several folds. The same things are read through the whole design: in the sleeves of the shirt, boots, the shape of the hands, the map.

Link of the project:

https://www.hanselstorybook.com/

You can also find this work on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRlO9R

99 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation. Stay safe, and have a great weekend!

1 Like

Her expression is alive!!

2 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Hi I am Tania and I am starting a TV Channel dedicated to Kid in Afghanistan. I have 5 years experience in producing shows for kids but zero experience in animation. Most of the stuff to comes to Afghanistan is foreign and are dubbed but I want to make animated characters that are organic and truly Afghan looking, with Afghan context. However we don’t have the capabilities to do that here. Can you or anyone help me in building my animated character? This character will focus on teaching kids on emotional coping mechanisms. (the idea does not exist in Afghanistan but kids could use the help) Your advise and or help on how I can go about this will be much appreciated.

3 Likes

Absolutely world class, gorgeous work! Clean, appealing, fun to watch. Wonderful pose!
Love, love, love it! :slight_smile: :heart:

1 Like

Excellent work, full of life!

1 Like

Really great work! Stupid question, is it all 3D? There are some parts that really looks like 2D! (Wich is a compliment if it is in 3D!XD)

Hyper appealing and lively!! Too good :sob:

looks awesome i would love to see this in motion

I love this character design.
When you say “balance”, do you mean that the character has to not fall from this pose?
Because to me a pose is more lively and dynamic if it can’t stand still. It’s like my brain must imagine the projected motion to give some sense to such an image, whereas if the pose is in equilibrium, my brain is like: “So I guess this is a stick figure, not a living thing”.

Not that I find anything wrong with your pose. I love it. In fact because her hair is not in equilibrium, I feel like I have to imagine her moving her head and thus her shoulders and it pretty much propagates all the way down to her lifted foot.

I’m absolutely loving the pose. So dynamic that a single render almost looks like a full animation :grin:

Let’s see how many of the 12 principles of animation are encapsulated here:

• Squashed paper roll :white_check_mark:
  • Anticipated… foot tap? :white_check_mark:
  • Staged overall pose :white_check_mark:
  • keyframe :white_check_mark:
  • follow through of the ponytails :white_check_mark:
  • ease in and ease out: nothing could have linear motion here :white_check_mark:
  • arcs with the spine and legs :white_check_mark:
  • secondary action: ok maybe not this one :no_entry_sign:
  • timing: this one just needs time so it doesn’t count
  • exaggeration : her smile and eyes :white_check_mark:
  • solid drawing : it’s 3D anyway :white_check_mark:
  • appeal: duh :white_check_mark:

Verdict : 10 out of 11 :bellhop_bell: :hammer:
You get a :mouse:

Very nice work!!! :wink: :ok_hand:t4:

Is there a tutorial, a timelapse or a making of of this model on the web?