Grey Alien

Working on a bust of everyone’s favorite creepy alien, the Grey!

I haven’t got around to making the eyes dark, or creating a neck and shoulders, but for a 1st time bust it’s not looking too terrible…yet. I’m sure once I monkey around with it some more I’ll probably ruin him. :slight_smile:

Feedback is much appreciated!

I always immagined the eyes a lot lower down. And the nsoe more like 2 slits than a actual form. But that is me and I guess a more diverse take on the idea is nice.

Cool! Thanks for the crit. I was actually in the process of scooting the eyes down a little, but not too much.

It could also look better if you round the top of the head so you can have a little contrast in the form (circular against the straightness of the jawline)… But that depends on the concept you have in mind…

Thanks for the com

Uhh, I don’t know what happened with my previous post. If a mod is reading this thread, pretty please delete it. Anyway, what I meant to say was this:

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve tweaked him a bit, lowering his eyes and making his head a bit rounder.

The big problem I’m having now is trying to figure out how to make his eyes dark. I’d prefer to just use a material in Blender, but I built the model using a mirror modifier on the X axis, followed by a subdvision subsurf with view and render set to 3. That leaves me with the following editing cage.

So if I try to apply a material to the eyes, instead of the having nice smooth edges they look real jaggy.

Should I maybe make a texture in Gimp and UV map? Or apply the subsurf to the model (which will make editing it a bit harder of course)? Again I’d rather use the Blender materials so I can create reflection, etc. in the eyes.

Any ideas appreciated.

So I ended up duplicating the faces that made up the eyes, made the new faces their own object, then moved the vertices around a bit. Then I pressed the new “eyes” up to the eyes of the old one so their kind of just barely floating there. The result isn’t bad.

I don’t know if this is the best way to do this, but I couldn’t think of any other way. Never modeled a face before. Am I on the right track?

Trying out some creepy lighting. Cue the X Files music!

I still reckon the eyes are still slightly too high. And the cheeks could do with some shape? He seems a bit flat or something. Grey’s have quite prominant cheeks if you’re going for realistic. And his eyes sit too far out from his skin. They look like they’ve been stuck on. This is a good start though. All the best! :slight_smile:

as for the eyes - try to make them a little transparent with a litlle something inside.

Lol, realistic. :slight_smile: You are totally right though Phee, I need to give him some more cheekbone, lower the eyes and sink them into his head. They kind of float off his head because they are separate mesh objects that I just pressed up to his face. I wanted to just shape the eyeballs on his head and then texture the appropriate parts…but if you look at my previous posts I wasn’t sure how to do that. Should I be trying out Sculpt Mode maybe? Anyway, thank you for the comment! I need to work on him some more…haven’t touched him in a couple months.

Thanks sajtafari! I do need to make his eyes 3 dimensional instead of just a slighly curved 2 dimensional plane. Then maybe a slight transparency and / or subsurface scattering? Thanks again you guys for the comments.