Grid Modeler - draw on grids => mesh

Version 1.9.3:

This is a core update !!

• Now it has built-in snapping of edge and vertex ! So when you draw shapes near the borders, you can snap to edge and corner vertex easily. Although I still recommend using alignment-edge (Ctrl Click) for many cases, but built-in edge snapping is convenient too!

• Now Boolean-Cut will auto fix mesh face normal (Recalculate Outside before cut).

When you use 3 Key and create new face + extrude, and then you want to boolean-cut on it, sometimes the normal is incorrect and blenderā€™s boolean fail. Now you donā€™t have to Recalculate normal by yourself. :slight_smile:

Now you can create new face with perfect size of source face , and boolean cut on edge very fast! :smile:

6 Likes

@Kushiro, your tool is just fantastic, thank you. This should be added as a default on Blender!

Has anyone tried using reference pictures as materials on the objects on the grid to model hard surfaces?

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:
It is an interesting idea. However, if the reference pictureā€™s content (eg: shape, tubes, circles, etc) does not fit on grid lines, then you have to change the grid scale often, maybe it is less useful.

But it is an interesting idea. Think about it in another way, as other user suggested to me before, it would be great to be able to ā€œload imageā€ in GM. If GM support all complex shapes (eg: with hole), I will consider it. (loading image / SVG)

1 Like

Version 1.9.4 updated :grinning:
This is small update

• Now you can change grid and shape colors !

w26

• Improved graphic quality (line smooth)

• Now you can use 1,2,3,4 key to commit in Selection mode too!

6 Likes

Can you make it so that you can cut a mesh all the way through by defining a line with the construction lines? Like for example you make a cut with this line https://gyazo.com/9ec000f6e591ed14d66555464b34e814 but instead of just cutting one face, it cuts all the way along the Y axis? This is what the end result should look like. https://gyazo.com/51098e5c4b253c689a39992afed81877
I know it can be done with Knife Project, but if GM can do it, it would make things much quicker.

1 Like

I tis possible, but what is the usage of it ?
it is not boolean slice / break into two meshes ,
so I am thinking that , is it less useful. :thinking:

I guess this could save some time putting a shape on both sides of a object at the same time. If this is only face cut, Iā€™d be happy with that.

1 Like

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Addon version: 1.9.4
Blender version 2.92.0 alpha

Hi @Kushiro.

I know I shouldnā€™t test addons with alpha versions of Blender (since the Python API is subject to change at any time), but I didnā€™t pay attention to the Blender version I installed the addon on. After a few random tests, I noticed the following error. (not sure it also happens with Blender 2.90.1).

I have tried to reproduce the following error but without any luck for the moment. I am not sure what triggers it (sorry).

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\xan2622\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\gridmodeler\grid_modeler.py", line 2708, in modal
    p = func(context, event)            
  File "C:\Users\xan2622\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\gridmodeler\grid_modeler.py", line 2472, in overall
    self.snap_to_grid(context, event)
  File "C:\Users\xan2622\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\gridmodeler\grid_modeler.py", line 2020, in snap_to_grid
    loc2 = self.snap(context, loc)
  File "C:\Users\xan2622\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\gridmodeler\grid_modeler.py", line 911, in snap
    if (p1 - cursor2).length < limit:
AttributeError: Vector subtraction: (NoneType - Vector) invalid type for this operation

Some suggestions:

1- Cancel current action with right-click:

Many tools operations in Blender can be cancelled by using the right mouse button.

• Example with the Scale tool: select a face, press the S hotkey, move your mouse a little bit then right-click, the scale is cancelled.
  • Example with the Knife tool: start drawing a shape on a face, then right-click, you should notice that lines disappear.

I think that it would be convenient if your addon behaved the same way (to make a right-click behave like the ESC key press).

For example:

• while drawing a shape on a face (with the grid), right-clicking could cancel the last action.
  • while duplicating a shape (array copy), right-clicking could cancel the last action.

Right-Clicking several times in a row could exit the ā€œmodalā€ mode.

2- Invert mouse wheel direction

Could there be an option (in the addon preferences) to invert the direction of the mouse wheel ?

3- An option to have a selection similar to Blenderā€™s Box-Selection

The Selection Mode is a bit surprising because, one could expect the selection not to be parallel to the grid, but that it would be similar to the box-selection.

4- Two extra buttons in the Addon Preferences to easily find your website and report bugs

You probably already know but some add-ons have two extra lines in the bl_info = {...} block, they are missing in your script :

"wiki_url": "https://www.kushirocg.com/",
"tracker_url": "https://blenderartists.org/t/grid-modeler-draw-on-grids-mesh/1254006/",
2 Likes

I didnā€™t test with alpha version, but I will definitely look into it and try to fix it.
Maybe it is a rare bug not directly related to alpha change. :slight_smile:

For the suggestions you mentioned,
I considered them,

1. cancel with right-click : Esc key do the job, why adding another key ? (I afraid confusion to user, because currently right-click is solely used for entering Selection-mode , and Esc is solely used for cancel things ).

2. Invert-mouse. it is good to have. But for a small addon, it seems over-done ( I still didnā€™t have the preference setting for user to change their function hot-keys yet ā€¦ many things need to make first :sweat_smile:)

3. when I design the selection rect, I think that it should be parallel to grid (similar to most game). In fact I think blenderā€™s design is wrong. :smile:

4. It is very nice. I should add it :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestions. :alien:

1 Like

If you are looking for new add-on ideas, perhaps an improved Knife Tool.

I loath the Knife Tool built into Blender, it is so archaic in its user interface.

I would welcome the ability to cut a mesh all the way through by defining a line or shape like the construction lines are implemented in Grid Modeler. Perhaps a Grid Knife add-on. This way Grid Modeler doesnā€™t get overburdened with too many functions.

Also, thank you for adding all the nifty readability user options to the preferences. Improvements like those are almost, if not more valuable than the actual tool. Thoughtful usability for the win!

2 Likes

On the opposite, it would add ease of use and more user-friendlyness for the user.

Then, when the hotkeys preferences will be added, I hope that youā€™ll allow to invert the mouse wheel direction. Here too, for more convenience.

Oh, ok. :slightly_frowning_face:

In fact, recently I am considering re-design the right-click mode. :slight_smile:
Let say : no selection mode in the tool , user select the shape by holding shift key + click
So for example, if you want to bevel a shape, you just need to shift + click , then B, then click. It is finished.

Just brain storming only, no changes are planned yet. :thinking:

1 Like

Humā€¦ not sure I like it like this :wink:

1 Like

I see ! :smile: I like the current design too. But some feedback told me that Selection Mode is a bit complicated, so I just think about it.
Thank you for feedback :relieved:

2 Likes

I will slowly add more settings and customizations for it :relaxed: Just need some time to wait
(the queue is long ! )

2 Likes

How do you think about the recently added Construction Line cut function ?

Do you think it is more useful if there is a option to cut through ?

1 Like

I have noticed that your python files donā€™t have the usual ā€œGPL license paragraphā€ (or compatible license) at the top.
Alternatively, you can just add a LICENSE.txt file in your ZIP archive if you prefer.

# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
# 
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
# 
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

I am sorry I am missing it !
I will add it to zip in next update :slight_smile: