GSOC 2012 - Modeling Tools: Bevel, Bridge, Boolean.

I think the point is that you could probably achieve almost anything with just a few tools, but speed and ease of use will suffer. With Inset I’d much rather have it as a seperate tool, and offer options specific to Inset, such as an Outset toggle.

howardt - I just tested your addon, and it does very nice offsets/insets, but doesn’t solve collisions… do you have straight skeleton fully implemented? then it should be easy to solve those… But otherwise, very nice addon.

Extruding along individual face normals has gotten a few request come to think of it;)
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Source/Modeling/BMesh/Suggestions

I think the extrude tool by default starts displacing on the average normal of the selected faces. so maybe while the tool is active a key press like ‘f’ allows you to switch from average normal to individual normals similar to how you can switch loop cut from proportional to percentage mode.

Actually I kind of find it weird going to the inset tool to perform what my mind classifies as an extrusion. But I am getting used to it.

A third option I’d group under Inset is what I’ve come to call ‘Inset Scale’. It performs the movement of an in/outset without creating extra geometry. In Voidworld I have it grouped with Inset and Outset, and use it quite often.

Here’s a quick animation to show this Inset Scale, for those unfamiliar with it:
First you see inset, then outset, then inset scale. (Then again, but with a click rather than a drag, which remembers the last used value.)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17715/bl_InsetOutsetScale.gif

Ctrl+A / Scale. Just like the other tools and modifiers when you have unequal axis scales.

Silo has that as well. First I thought it was really backwards, but I came to realize it was a solution that gave you more control over the inset. I wouldn¡t mind both options though, since they both have advantages (quickness/control)

To clarify what I’m doing in the gif: I hold down the hotkey (S in this case, I believe) and click or drag a mousebutton. lmb does inset, mmb does outset and rmb does inset scale.
Ofcourse that’s just one particular way of accessing the tools, and I don’t propose that Blender copies this (although I’d love a plugin that allows me to work this way!), but it’s nice to be able to access these seperate options under one hotkey so easily.

If you’ll allow me to harp on about Voidworld a bit more: There’s an interface where you can select a hotkey and just set modeling tools per mouse-button. You can also just drag them around. It’s a very nice way of setting up your tools.
You’re not limited to map variants of one tool to the different mousebuttons either, I can have Bevel, Extrude and dissolve set to the same hotkey if I so desire (although that would be confusing :D).

I should probably make a video sometime, but I doubt my laptop could handle video capture!

Think I have to try out this Voidworld. Think the awful name and amateurish interface scared me off before :stuck_out_tongue:

any news on this gsoc project

Scene as everyones making suggestions as to what they would like to see done if you have the time I might aswell include this for the boolean modifier.

http://www.indigosm.com/modo/quickBooleans.gif

Mainly the drill slice, also maybe quick boolians as a menu option to save having to run the modifier manually.

Reminds of the need for a simple section stool/operator. Use a plane to make a section (linedrawing) through a model.

Hello, Alexander! I wish you’ll implement the “profiles” feature for Bridge tool. I wanted to show you what is it and what’s the best sauce to eat with :slight_smile: But I can’t - it was in Modo 401 presentation and I didn’t found it (601 presentation even doesn’t tells a word about it although it’s really cool thing). Shortly - you can select any open profile (from a designed collection) and Bridge tool will insert it along the bridge. It’s a perfect time saver for making columns, fritters (лясы - по-нашему, которые в поручнях у лестниц) and others. I think the implementation method of this isn’t hard. Roughly it can be made with using any (previously) selected Curve - that was the first method in Modo. Then it can be collected in a section to be more robust for modelling (users will be quickly comparing different presets instead of well-known “try-and-undo” method). Cheers and good luck to you and your project! :slight_smile:

Im tetsing the sushi modeling tools Bridge tool from what I’ve seen is very good although in some cases produce unpredictable results, I recommend you check convex hull operator from Nicholas Bishop has some good options you can implement in the bridge tool without parameters I can not give good feedback. then I will put some pictures with some cases in which the tool does not give good results.

this is an example of the convex hull and the bridge tool

You might want to check out modo’s bevel and bridge tool, guys. There are a lot of free modo tutorials out there for reference. modo also has an interesting loop tool, like adding multiple loops have options such as symmetry, free, equal…

Is this project even still going? I haven’t seen any post of any new tools and the like.

I think he’s been mostly working locally or something. He has a few recent commits though:

Commit one
Commit two

the new bridge tool is already working but not finish there are no parameter to tweak

in some situations create holes and generate double faces

One of those things I loved in Modo were the profiles in the bridge tool. I wrote it here already.
I had tried to find examples on their official site but there is only info about 601 version and no any mentions about bridge tools and other main modelling tools. It’s odd I think :slight_smile:
Maybe you’ll gives us URLs on videos with such examples?