GSoC 2016 - Improvements to Bezier Curves

Any news? 2.79 is last one before 2.8

Patch is up for review over at blender project page, but developers are busy, no comments yet.
I fear this wont make it to 2,79

dphantom, I poked the on the mailing list so hopefully someone will review the latest version so we can get it in for 2.79.

Lets hope so, testing team standing by :slight_smile:

Would be great to have it in 2.79, problem is that genio84 doesn’t respond anymore.

https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2017-April/048289.html

Doh! My mistake I thought dphantom was the author and was saying it was ready for committing/review for final application. My apologies to the patch author for the misunderstanding.

That’s a really great news :slight_smile:

Any news about this project?

Last I heard genio84 submitted some requested changes to the patch, and now awaits review from other developers, but no word from them yet.

Hello everyone,

Someone suggested me to submit the individual tools as patches to make revision easier.

I submitted the extend tool (now named intersect) for review. After this one is approved, I will submit the next one. Depending on the devs availability, we might get all tools in master in the following weeks.

This are awesome tools and greatly improve the workflow with Bezier curves, I hope it reaches 2.79 release! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Thank you for this effort, really. This is a very needed set of tools for curves in blender no doubt.

Would be awesome to get this in 2.79 =P

Not going to happen (BCon 4, meaning the only thing that can go in is bugfixes).

There’s been talk about implementing some of the GSoC stuff from last year into 2.7x once it becomes a branch (with 2.8 taking over as the main version). I’m not entirely sure if there will not be a final ‘performance’ release yet since 2.8 is not ready and it has happened before.

Devs been very busy lately, not only is the main focus on 2.8 now, there is also the 2.79 impending release on top of it.
It will never make it into 2.79, that ship has sailed, but I was hoping it could still be part of the 2.8 series.

But the review process is often controversial and it will take time for the devs to be available for review, it will take additional time to introduce any requested changes if required, so I’d say it will take quite a while.

Lets hope it can make it :slight_smile:

What a pitty not seeing this in 2.79… we NEED this! Let´s see in near future! maybe a 2.79a or something like that.

If there ever is a 2.79a it will be exclusively a bug fix release, no new features will be added only error will be mended.

I strongly doubt there will be another full release until 2.8, any intermediate releases would only delay things and benefit no one in long term; so right now we should focus all our manpower into getting this ready for 2.8.

If you don’t know how to code, the best we do right now is probably heavy testing. You can use the provided test builds and do thorough testing, and find any bugs.
What we need the most is reliable, easily reproducible examples that fail so they can be fixed and the devs get a smoothly working and well behaving tool when reviewing. This will speed things up and increase the likelihood of getting it into official releases.

Any new developments on this front? It would be a shame to let this die down

yeah, agreed, wouldn’t want to miss this one out