GSoC 2019 LANPR Updates Here!

It was reported that Sebastian Parborg will take over the LANPR project and is expected to be a target for 2.82 or later release. It’s not abandoned, it’s just priorities as usual.

4 Likes

Any Github link with the latest code so we can build it?

1 Like

Hi, the developer still work in the GSoC branch soc-2019-npr and temp-lanpr-cleanup.
Dunno wich one is better for testing, may you ask at https://devtalk.blender.org/t/gsoc-2019-lanpr-development-and-feedbacks/7716/76
If you build master already you can build lanpr after “git checkout soc-2019-npr”.

Cheers, mib

3 Likes

A 2.81 build with LANPR in it would be super useful if anyone can make one.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I can build master no problems, but I cant figure out how to update to LANPR, I used git checkout soc-2019-npr to switch to lanpr, then I ran make update && make, it went throgh the update, but no candy, only master came out, not LANPR!

Hi, I cant build npr branch and have no time to mess up my build system. :wink:
Do you run “make install” after build?
Please ask in the devtalk forum, the devs are mostly aware of posts and reply.

Cheers, mib

2 Likes

I have been trying to build LANPR on Win64 Platform. All of the setup seems to work, with some ‘odd’ notes but in the end I got an Error Log, which I have posted on Problem building LANPR branch Windows 64 I hope someone who is informed can help problem solve, as I want to explore LANPR and the current available build is from Aug??? I will gladly post to GraphicsAll.org once I get it to work. Assistance requested also, thanks in advance.

@anon54214979, I can build temp-lanpr-cleanup branch on Linux, got the same pointer errors as paulhart2 building soc-2019-npr branch.
Last merge was 2019.21.10.
It is working with the test .blend posted here. (post #78)

Cheers, mib

1 Like

Just wanted to congratulate @xp8110 on the progress! It’s looking promising!

One question: how do I actually choose a color for an object? The material changes don’t seem to affect anything. Thanks.

GUY, how i download and install LANPR? i download a file lanpr but when open dont work and another files have some folders, i chenge this on blender 2l.8 but when open blender i dont see anymore the tab on left and up and i cant move camera and like nothing respond, what i make wrong? and WHERE i download LANPR all link are broken or very messy. help me pls thanksss

Hi try build from Graphicall https://blender.community/c/graphicall/1hbbbc/
from today.
Unzip where you want and start blender.exe from there.

Cheers, mib

This start, thanks, but i have some problems, if i try to render with eevee blender crash, close instantly without errors, second: if i try to render with LANPR i see a grey screen nothing more, maybe i making something wrong, i try with the classic cube. light and camera but nothing, in cycles i see the cube but not in LANPR and if i try with eevee crash…

1 Like

Hi, no idea I don´t use it.
May it is better to ask the uploader on Graphicall.
I test only once with a test file from GSoC 2019 LANPR Updates Here!

Cheers, mib

HI xp8110, first thanks for your incredible work, i start using LANPR right now and is more complicated of how i thinking, exist a tutorial or a guide for start using this? and 1 thing, when we rendering is possible give color at different object? i see a bunch of videos and i notice all the scene is on 1 color, is possible assign material, (my idea is basic flat color) to any object on the scene?

ps: if exist a tutorial please link to me (everyone)

1 Like

Its working for me, but there are some issues. It doesn’t appear to be working on Freestyle Marked Edges, and there’s some chaining problems. In the previous 2.8 build from 12 of august, under the edge menu there was an option for ‘Mark LANPR edge’ instead of ‘Mark Freestyle Edge’ in the Edges menu in edit mode. In the new build, neither option exists in the menu. You can still mark FS edges by searching for it, but there’s no way to get a LANPR edge. I assume the marked edges aren’t working because its not recognizing the FS ones or something.

This is Grease Pencil

2 Likes

As I had noted in my notes on my latest build, LANPR has stepped back a bit in regression, while kinks are ironed out. Wiming Yu stated: The following are not included - - GPencil modifiers. Smooth contour modifier. SVG. Affected UI scripts. Freestyle changes.

1 Like

Just uploaded my latest build of Win_x64_vc16-LANPR_11-03-2019 to GraphicAll.org. Deep appreciation to Yiming Wu for the continued development on this much needed addition to Blender.
I could use (perhaps others also??) some documentation of current build, videos, perhaps someone besides Yiming can contribute?? since he must focus on coding.
Questions: Freestyle options of line control still needed (Freestyle crashes on big scenes) such as controlling LineSets for select Collections or Objects. How to eliminate “XRay” effect on Objects unnecessarily displayed. How to Exclude Collection(s).
I am including an example of a Scene in which XRay effect, Unneccessary same line widths (How to control??) and a Collection displayed in Render that has Flags set to NoView and NoRender.
These may all be functional, but the limits of this “User” are part of the equation.
I can set these in Freestyle, but Freestyle crashes on this same scene and doesn’t respond to setting a Render Region to reduce RAM load, crashing on partial Slices, same RAM use??

2 Likes

It is not “my file” that has the problem. I downloaded the file BCON19 - Main Poster (blend file).blend from Blender Cloud. It renders fine in Cycles, but ‘crashes’ on Render Regions of 1/8 of a 50% res file??!! I attempted a render using the latest LANPR build from GraphicAll.org, set the resolution to 50% of the 1920x1080px size and a Render Region of 1/8, as noted in the B/W upper left corner.
Blender needs a reliable Line Render solution as complex scenes crash Freestyle and LANPR, BOO!

That is where comes into strategy to use converted lines into Grease Pencil Objects using modifiers that @xp8110 experimented during his GSOC.
But such GP strokes may be more numerous created that way than the amount necessary for Hero movie.
I expressed same concerns about collections management, this summer.
Due to a switch to opensource driver for my graphic card, I can not compile and test branch, anymore.

All I can say is that @xp8110 did several temporary branches since past summer to solve specific tasks. Probably, none of them is supposed to be representative to a solid workflow.

Yes. But LANPR developer is a student and another GSOC would probably be necessary to reach step where LANPR+GPO becomes an easy set-up process before asking it to be reliable.

1 Like

https://blenderartists.org/u/zeauro Thank you for your comments. I will explore the ‘converted lines’ as an interim strategy. I am currently maintaining a build for Win64 on GraphicsAll to test the development. I realize that it is unrealistic to expect it to be ‘reliable’ in its development stage. My comment was more aspirational, as in, Blender ‘should have’ a reliable Line Rendering solution. It is the ‘missing’ piece for a lot of illustration and animation possibilities, IMO, and I continue to use other software for that phase, which feels unfortunate. Test ‘my’ build if you can to confirm difficulties.

1 Like