GSoC 2019 LANPR Updates Here!

@paulhart2 thanks again for the builds! Getting good use out of them.

And I’m not sure if this is more of a Grease Pencil or LANPR question, but does anyone know a good way to clean up all the overlapping little stroke fragments? Here’s my current GP lines with opacity turned down. You can see there’s tons of little extra fragments. (It also seems like there’s no way to set GP to have alpha not layer like this either.)

There is no solution. It is a Grease Pencil thing. You can only render strokes opaque and tweak render at compositing.

1 Like

While I continue to ‘build’ releases of LANPR and post them to GraphicAll.org. I still have questions and dismay with the results that I am generating. I appreciate the obvious speed of LANPR, but miss the line customization that Freestyle offers. I have no idea how to eliminate the ‘XRay’ effect on this test image. Currently the line quality is not capable of variability. Do I have to figure out Grease Pencil options to get any line modification??

1 Like

Thanks for continuing the builds. I’m using them and not having any xray problems in CPU mode or GP bake.

1 Like

LANPR crashes a lot, and I mean almost every time on complex models, I will follow its development, but at the moment it is unusable as far as I can see, at least on Windows 10 Workstation!

1 Like

We had a similar problem, found out that size matters. So clipping the camera did the trick

1 Like

Have you figured this out yet? I might be able to help.
Thanks for your builds btw.

While there is more integration and features that are needed for LANPR to be a working match to Freestyle, I did stumble on the ‘X-Ray’ issue. If I click on the Default, I get three layers. Only the first one is needed for the outline I wanted. The other two contribute the x-ray effect I noted.

After playing around a bit I noticed mark edges is not working with modifiers like mirror, subsdive, armature.
*This is grease pencil baking. I don’t know if Lanpr engine worked or not.

Winx64_vc16_LANPR_02-02-2020 2.83.2 Posted to GraphicAll.org!
Big change, now building to 2.83.2 which is the latest possible!!

Big changes continue to Blender Base, but only small changes noted for LANPR, as reviewed in the Dev. threads, mostly about code cleanup.
I have included a new reference image. It still lacks some of the controls I need for this large file, but it does render!! It includes the CUDA kernels, and may also include Optix, but I don’t have that graphics cards to tell? Anybody??

This patch doesn’t include the following yet:

GPencil modifiers. Smooth contour modifier. SVG. Affected UI scripts. Freestyle changes.

3 Likes

Sorry but I don’t understand, is it going to be available for 2.83?
What’s the situation exactly?

I am currently the only resource for Win64 builds on GraphicAll.org (https://blender.community/c/graphicall/1hbbbc/), and built based on the available linked libraries from Blender. Prior to this most recent release that I posted, it was only compiling to 2.8.4, not even 2.82.6, so it was a noticeable jump when I down loaded the libraries, compiled it and got a 2.83.2 version number. I original author of the branch is currently a grad student in ?China? and is not able to contribute actively, as I understand it, which is a shame. Another developer in Amsterdam Blender has taken the task on but only to get it work with the latest libraries. What is not happening is any further development of the actual LANPR branch functionality for the moment, at least this is my understanding. Hopefully someone else knows more??

I am currently the only resource for Win64 builds on GraphicAll.org (https://blender.community/c/graphicall/1hbbbc/), and build based on the available linked libraries from Blender. Prior to this most recent release that I posted, it was only compiling to 2.82.4, not even 2.82.6, so it was a noticeable jump when I down loaded the libraries, compiled it and got a 2.83.2 version number. I original author of the branch is currently a grad student in ?China? and is not able to contribute actively, as I understand it, which is a shame. Another developer in Amsterdam Blender has taken the task on but only to get it work with the latest libraries. What is not happening is any further development of the actual LANPR branch functionality, at least this is my understanding. Hopefully someone else knows more??

Ok thanks for the informations. It would be a pity if development had stopped because I was really anticipating this feature, and I’m sure I’m not the only one around here.

I totally agree. Yiming Wu is a grad student in China, and successfully completed two summers of GSOC contribution, which is great, but it still has a way to go. He did post that the political circumstances in China were expected to curtail his access to Internet contribution!! Not good. I seem to remember that another member of the Blender team has been assigned to the LANPR project, which probably accounts for the 2.83.2 build libraries working, but now he needs to get up to speed with the code base and move the project forward. I asked about NPR on the Blender Today videocast, and Pablo Vazquez is a supporter of NPR, but he did not have any good news for the moment, and actually moved to another question rather than end the videocast on a ‘sour’ note. I will keep pushing, and two of the Japanese studios who are now corporate sponsors are strong in their interest in NPR and anime related animation, so hopefully they may also contribute to the development??

3 Likes

Even tho the summer of code is initially a good idea, a project like LANPR would require a lot of time and dedication, preferably full time, to be fully operational and benefit from continuous development and improvement.
Considering how feature development works on Blender, this has clearly been underestimated and it’s obvious they don’t really have a backup plan. Unless someone shows interest in taking over, it’s pretty much dead AFAIK.
I was looking forward to it, but who knows. Look at what happened with the sculpt branch and Pablo Dobarro, but it’s extremely rare.

I welcome the return, if possible, of Yiming Wu, who has done fine work. The restrictions on access to information in China is REAL, this being only one expression of the restrictions. Blender needs to give full-time support to an individual to move this project to completion. Hopefully one of the Japanese studios can contribute to the code development also, since they are now committed to Blender in their pipeline. Pablo Vazquez and Dalai Felinto talked about NPR, but it needs a full kick in the backside to be solid. Currently it only partially renders big projects (mine) and does nothing for particles (Hair, Fur, Grass, Leaves) which is needed for animation, anime, illustration and ArchViz. Here’s hoping for completion.

5 Likes

LANPR a dropped project no more developing…

It is possible another developer will pick it up, but as mentioned already, we shouldn’t count on the original dev. returning because of the changes in China’s political and social systems (where it appears the goal expressed of the leadership is a beehive rather than independent citizens making their own decisions).

1 Like

I haven’t seen any response that dev. is continuing, tho on another thread, it was mentioned that Yiming Wu had responded to a posting. I continue to build and post on GraphicAll.org but it is stuck on 2.83.2.
I am very discouraged at the lag in the NPR line rendering capacity in Blender, particularly Real Time and particles, like grass, leaves, hair. LANPR had such potential but it does seem to be languishing?!! So sad.

1 Like