Guitar. Any Feedback?

A guitar for a scene i am doing. I would appreciate any critiques. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

You won’t get feedback from an acoustic. :slight_smile:

However, that is one ding-dang-doodle of a guitar. All twenty of my fingers are itching. You’ve pushed the common configuration from 14-frets to 15, which is interesting. For those players who want an unobstructed high G, this will definitely go over well. I’m not sure how the intonation will work out, though. I’m sure luthiers around the world are all scratching their slide-rules over this one.

In fact, you might consider redoing the fret spacing. As it stands, the frets don’t have the gradually-decreasing spacing that guitars have. I believe there’s a way to do this with an array modifier, but I’m a bit too tired to work it out at the moment.

And I’m curious as to why you put a diamond inlay on the seventh fret. I’ve never seen special treatment for the seventh fret before.

I’m sure the cross-bracing was a nightmare, too. All that tension from 18 strings will play hell on the soundboard.

This is all tongue-in-cheek, of course. It’s a great concept and I love the purfling. Gives it a Spanish look. If I saw one in a shop, I’d be sorely tempted.

:smiley: awesome!

I like the look of it. The Heart shaped sound hole split into 2 halfs is a cool idea, although I’m not keen on the upper scratch guard.

ive played 8 years so i was kindof curious about the frets also but there is nothing to say it would not work expecially in halfstep tuning. im not a big fan of the generic style heads but good work

When you said you were working on something too, you weren’t kidding! Cool looking concept! Keep going!

Thanks guys. I would love to claim the concept as my own but i’m actually just modelling my guitar (I’ve included the photo for reference). However, i now see that the frets are indeed wrong. I placed them by eye, obviously not the best way to do it.

My aim is not to get it to look exactly the same, but close and photo-realistic. Any comment on the materials? anything I could add to help realism? Any suggestions on where to place it? (my next take is to model the rest of the scene)

Cheers.

Attachments

Wow. I was thinking it didn’t look plausible, because that thin wooden bit between the soundholes would be too fragile. But it exists, so shut my mouth!

Who made that beast?

Ditto! I thought you made it up. In all the years I’ve been playing and haunting music shops, I’ve seen double-necked electrics, but not double-necked acoustics. Go figure.

And, yeah. Who made that beast? Inquiring minds want to know… Two of us, at least. :slight_smile:

It was made for my uncle back in the 60’s or 70’s by a luthier in Coventry, UK called Rob Armstrong. I think he is still going, look him up.

It may be hard to see in my render (and impossible in the photo due to the angle) but there is a metal support inside the body to stop the whole thing collapsing. Even so, after all these years the 12 string neck has started to warp.

Any comments on the render? Suggestions for improvements?

Textures look good to me! What kind of scene are you thinking about?

Ta. I’m not fully sure what I want the scene to be like. Maybe a dusty old room with the guitar leaning against the wall. Either black and white or desaturated. If it ends up looking as good as your banjo I’ll be happy.

Basically I’m going to photo-realism in a setting that does not look new and purchased in IKEA.

The guitar looks great, so I’m sure what ever scene you decide on will be perfect. Thanks for the compliment on the banjo.

In the orignial, it looks like it’s got a matched cedar top. But in you render the wood looks more like a spruce, and doesn’t appear to be book matched but that could just be the angle. Personally I prefer the spruce look anyway. If your wanting to make it look old, you could add some dings and scratches, dirt on the fret board etc.

I think your render looks better than the original to be honest, but I still don’t like the upper scratch guard :stuck_out_tongue:

With all the recent guitar threads I may have to jump on the band wagon. :eyebrowlift:

wow… so its real… lol. well, good work, short of a more realistic render, you have it spot on, lol.

This is just killer, enough said! :smiley:

Wow. That’s got to be a one-of-a-kind item.

Yes, I suppose there’d have to be.

What’s the humidity level where it’s stored? If it’s lower than 40%, chances are it’s starting to dry out and that’s causing all kinds of problems, including warping. My advice, considering how rare this guitar is and the fact that it’s handmade, get it back to the builder and get his advice on reconditioning it. It might cost you a few pounds, but it’ll be worth it in the long run. Something that age, handmade, unique like that, it’s going have a value and if you take care of it, that value will only grow.