Guitar

Further testing ao and arealights.

A few textures are stretched…no need to comment on that.
I also just noticed that here is a weird checkerboard pattern on the leaves. I don’t have a clue how it came there.

I like it, its great work :smiley: The pick gaurd is a little to raised, it shouldn’t be that thick. Thats my only comment, besides the strings looking very noisy. Good job :wink:

Ataryu anticipated my comments :stuck_out_tongue:

The guitar body could be a bit more shiny; all of the guitars I’ve owned or have seen all had highly polished surfaced. Other than that, it’s very nice.

I really like it - the mood is very cool. one crit - I think there is a problem in the leaves of the plant - could be a render problem.

I swear to god misuse of AO has decreased the quality of work on Elysiun.

I think this looks rather good with AO, it sets the mood.

I like the subtle fragile mood of the picture

Very cool man! Nice and realistic.

Mantis
www.wkoorts.com

try switching the chair and guitar body textures. the guitar should be shiny and smooth and the chair should be matte.

OK, I’ll get my beefs with the pic out of the way first:

Plant leaves look weird – check your normals. Also, it looks like the plant’s pot is completely round at the bottom. That would be a bit unstable! The texture looks decent, though.

Chair legs look terrible; it’s a great texture, but I will comment on the stretched mapping. If you fix that, your pic will be much nicer.

The guitar strings are extremely aliased; turn on Gaussian in the render options to reduce that. Or, render it bigger (if you have an insane computer!) The strings also look unnaturally white, but that might just be caused by aliased specular highlights.

The guitar needs to be quite a bit shinier; the front needs to look almost wet. Right now it looks like it was sandblasted. The brown pick guard also looks like melting chocoloate; it needs to protrude less from the front of the guitar. Did you accidentally make it thick and set it on smooth shading?

Try to reduce the amount of noise in the AO – there is no need to make your renders look like grainy CIA reconaissance photos. But then, some people like the spy look… :smiley:

And now what I like about the pic:

Objects are balanced in the scene nicely, and the overexposure in the upper right illustrates the fragile lighting quite well. The lighting looks soft, even though it is quite bright. Colors work quite well, and modeling seems solid. You picked textures with a high enough resolution so as not to appear pixelated – thank you for saving my eyes!

The guitar shows up well as a foreground object and as the focus of the scene, and appears naturally (if precariously) placed.

Good work.

Matt

Not all guitars have a glazed finish - and the finish used here looks very good for one of those instruments.

Is the wood texture procedural? Bitmap?

But I’m really hating those strings :wink:

quality

I think it’s a damn nice piece of work.

if only i could have typed as fast as meestaplu! He took the very words out of my mouth! And as for misuse of AO in elysiun it is because they create huge images with no lighting and low sample settings! Put the samples on AO and OSA to 16 ray trace to 128 and render with gaussian!

I love this one.

For the texture artefacts on the plant: every times it occured to me was when uvtextured items duplicates were occupying the very same place.
Perhaps it has nothing to do with uvtexturing but please look for dupli, I’m quite sure it’s the cause of your trouble.

Hope this helps.

is this a blender render of a fender?

The guitar body could be a bit more shiny; all of the guitars I’ve owned or have seen all had highly polished surfaced.
Not the one I have at home :slight_smile:

I swear to god misuse of AO has decreased the quality of work on Elysiun.
If you are talking about the ‘I-make-a-half-decent-model-and-render-it-with-ao-to-make-it-look-good-without-effort’ pictures, then you are right. I don’t know if you classify my picture in this cathegory, but I do know that I put lots of effort in tweaking the lighting to make it look as soft as it does now. Btw, this isn’t the kind of scene to render with spotlights only…

Chair legs look terrible; it’s a great texture, but I will comment on the stretched mapping. If you fix that, your pic will be much nicer.
I would have done that already if the rendertime wasn’t that long.

Try to reduce the amount of noise in the AO – there is no need to make your renders look like grainy CIA reconaissance photos. But then, some people like the spy look…
One of these people is me then. :slight_smile: The picture was quite clean when it was rendered. I put some noise in it myself in photoshop.

Is the wood texture procedural? Bitmap?
Bitmaps.

is this a blender render of a fender?
I sure know it’s not a fender. :slight_smile: So it must be a blender render.

There have been quite a few comments on how shiny the guitar is. I like it just the way it is. It looks old and used, and I think it fits the piece better than a “new, off the shelf” guitar would look. I really like the composition of the piece, and the lighting. I also feel a need to defend the legs of the chair for some reason… once again, I think they fit the scene, they’re very simple and clean… looks alot like the chairlegs on my kitchen chairs at home.

The only 2 crits I have (and their small) is about the pick guard being to thick (as previously stated) and I’d like to see more variation on the plant’s leave size and shape (personal preference).

Something that would be a nice little detail to add would be to give the pick guard some wear as well. Just a suggestion though :wink:

As a side note, you mentioned render time. What is the render time, and what are the applicable stats on your computer (cpu, video card, memory)?

The rendertime is a little less than a day, with arealight and ao samples set to 15 (16 freezes the computer).
1900 mhz
256 RAM