Gundam Anime UPDATE: 4-10-05 (New weapon page 3!)

Wow, I really like it! Great job!

PS: Sometimes it takes a bit for people to get around to replying.

I like it alot too. I sympathize with your rigging problems, as I am going through the same thing. It’s especially disconcerting when you get halfway through a tutorial and something goes wrong. I wish I had a dollar (U.S., Canadian, Australian, doesn’t matter) for every time I couldn’t figure out “how they did that”.

Keep up the good work, and if you figure out all the rigging problems … create a tutorial … a good one :wink:

Yes, like I said in the last update, I solved all of my rigging problems. Heh, it only took 3 tries at the tutorial to figure it out.

The trick was to make sure you have the hand object is parented to the armature, rather than the palm bone like I had tried originally. After assigning vertex groups, everything worked out rather well.

its very nice…its obviouse you’ve spent alot of time on this…wonderful :]

Model looks great! I would love to see this rendered in yafray with hdri and nice chrome materials.

Cheers,

b01c

Well, i’ve been experimenting with rampshaders, and so far here is one of my better renders. I’ve removed some of the missile racks, and added some details. It took me several hours to guess and check how the renderer works with the various settings. Ironically, my render here only used color ramping and color tooning, as far as toon type settings go.

http://img108.exs.cx/img108/940/toonshaders1ray00012rj.th.jpg

Ultimatly, I am trying to have the model to have a 2D anime look from all angles. This is probably impossible, and I know things such a sthe edge outline will never work perefectly, but hopefully someone could post some comments, crits, or suggestions. Thanks!

It took several more hours of fiddling with settings, but I present to you, 2D blender CG! Hooray!

I also finished the neck. It has 5 pistons that are constrianed to pump with the movements of the neck. 8)

http://img74.exs.cx/img74/7794/flatshaders1100010te.th.jpg

If any one can point out ways, technical or not, to make this look more two dimensional and flat, let me know! C&C is much appreciated…

beautiful image!!!

One reason why you’re not getting many replies is the fact that the images are just too big and are (my guess) uncompressed. 600 KB just too look at an unfinished project? It’s not likely very many people on dial up will wait for that. I myself had to wait until I headed towards the university. Do yourself a favor and compress the images and scale them down.

omg
thats absolutely AWSOME!!!
i just admire the way you use the shaders wowowow
you achived a level which is good enough for tv or a game!!!
keep it up, thats really cool and I have NOTHING to critizise, which is normally noz the case

Makenshi & Walaber:

Thanks a lot for the kind words. Not too bad for a newb, considering I just picked up blender last december, eh? :smiley:

Munkey_Mike:
Although most images were 160 kb’s or less, i removed the huge one on the front page. Point noted. Now that I have started using thumbnails hopefully people will be more likely to comment.

Wow, I am amazed. Really good modeling and I absolutely think that is the best toon shading I’ve seen made in Blender.

great stuff.

Hy!

It’s amazing, and I mean AMAZING! Wonderful shaders, it really looks like 2D!

But: You said, that you experimented with ramp shaders. But it looks like you used toon edges. Or I misunderstood something… I think you can achieve better contour lines with ramp shader, than using the postpro toon edge. :wink:

Anyway, it’s still wonderful! Keep up the good work!

I saw your first posts, and I must say you have improved very fast. At this rate in a few months you will be out-blening @ndy!

Very good work, especially the piston movement head.

Alex

Thanks for all the compliments, guys.

Just to clear things up, the latest picture (the neck update) had no post-production work done to it. By using rampshaders and very specific toon settings, along with the unified renderer “edge” option, the model will have a 2D appearance from all angles.

In short, that image was straight out of the internal renderer. 8)

It’s been a week since I’ve updated this…

Seeing as how they were quite a rushjob, I redid the old legs. The new ones are also more matching of the gundam style. Stay tuned for redo’s of several other parts as well. This is still my first project, and seeing as how I’ve racked up about 40 hours b/w making the old legs and doing the new ones, I suppose that explains how the new parts are turning out much better.

http://img150.exs.cx/img150/4487/newlegwhitenormal6result00028q.th.jpg

BTW, the black cylinders at the top are just makeshift knee joints, so ignore them for the meantime.
Let me know what you think!

This is a very good looking Gundam, and the toon shading is excellent. Could I see one with a plain grey background though? That wacky dark star background is very distracting IMO.

I’ve more or less finished the new legs, and am now redoing the pelvis and side/rear skirt armor. Im planning on keeping the front skirts, the torso, and the new head, and everything else will be new.

Here’s the update, with a lighter background by request…

http://img214.exs.cx/img214/4769/newlegswaist200013tv.th.jpg

These new legs have a 2-point hinge at the connection to the lower leg and a second at the connection to the thigh, so they are much more flexible. It is similar to the gundam model kits. Also, since this is almost an entirely new model, should I post the older one in the finished works section? Im planning on doing an animation with both models now…

This one is a small, but important update.

Im really hoping for some feedback if the proportions look correct here. If any of you gundam fans (there are some here, right?) out there notice anything glaringly weird, please chip in!

And yes, I realize the rear skirt is missing the white material in this render.

Next update will feature the new shoulders/arms, and perhaps his beam saber!

http://img206.exs.cx/img206/9864/newgo200026ji.th.jpg

I am very much a gundam fan (I’ve seen at least half the episodes of almost every series except that weird chibi one) and I would like to say that I’m very impressed. I just flipped through this thread and it’s amazing to see how far you’ve progressed. I can see that you’ve done very good with the material, but if you think you want a bit of reference on somebody else’s way of doing it, I found this great tutorial in somebody’s signature…and now it’s down or something, I think?

Well anyways, for better edging, try putting it up all the way, rendering a very large image and then scaling it down in GIMP or something.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing those animated :slight_smile: