H.P. Lovecraft's "The Temple"

H.P. Lovecraft’s “The Temple”

While researching my U-Boat project, I came across HP Lovecraft’s The Temple.

I thought it would be an unusual scene for my boat.

28 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thank you!

1 Like

Nice idea… but temple must be more… Lowecraftian :slight_smile: y’know weird architecture, statues of monsters. I hope you develop this project further.

Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions. I always appreciate feedback.

I was originally going to decorate the building with all kinds of “Lovecraftian” creatures, but the story describes the architecture as attractive: “exquisite carvings like the figures of bacchanals in relief”, “decorated with sculptures of inexpressible beauty” and “the art is of the most phenomenal perfection. Largely Hellenic in idea”.

Monsters didn’t seem to fit what Lovecraft was describing.

On the other hand, a pediment covered with tentacled nightmares could be fun…

1 Like

Yap, weird, sinister architecture and “real world” submarine can make good combination.
Well I see some stuff which explore this topic, but one more always are welcome. Just release Kraken… mean imagination.

He, he… I’m just SF&F nerd sometime :slightly_smiling_face:

Beautiful artwork! Also the use of the Type VIIC is a really interesting Idea. I think the story of the temple would actually fit perfect in a WWII setting. Of course this war was still to come when it was originally written. The mindset of the Captain really fits in the nazi-ideology.

I agree only in part, since von Altberg refers to the architecture as somewhat of an archaic ancestor of Greek and Roman architecture.

Thanks for the comments. I was very tempted to include some kind of tentacled creatures or statues, but the story seemed pretty clear that the temple was very human in design.

This is a pretty old posting. I’m curious how you found it.

I just finished this story and I really like the way you visualized this scene! I was curious how you accomplished the spooky underwater/ murky lighting effects in Blender?

Thanks for commenting and liking!

I created a large cube around the entire scene and used a principled volume shader to create a foggy atmosphere. The marine snow is a particle system inside the cube.

The green lighting inside the building is done by placing rectangular planes inside the building. Each plane has an green emission shader attached to it.

1 Like

Its really effective, thanks for explaining!