Hair transplant

Hi there.

I´m having a problem that I supposed would be trivial but it´s not. I want to transplant hair from one mesh to another, keeping the combing, etc… I could convert the particles to mesh but reattaching the hair mesh to the other character could be time consuming.

I´ve managed to copy the particle systems with the Copy Attributes Addon, but I can´t replicate the hair editing. I´m not the first one who had this problem, and I´ve checked possible solutions. This script…

https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/a/a/4/aa466dfca0e27e6c5f9e29685cb61e598e576b8c.zip

…apparently would do the job, but it´s doing nothing. I don´t know if I´m using it wrong or it doesn´t work on newer Blender releases (it´s for 2.83 but it shows a warning sign when installed in my 3.0, and going back to an older Blender would be painful at this point).

Has anybody tried it out with success? Does anybody know of other solutions?

Cheers.

Well you could just copy the object with the hair and do the copy part in 2.83 and then copy it back to 3.0. Select the object and then crtl+c.

I have done it a long time ago i think and it was not easy to do. Why is attaching the hair mesh back to the character time-consuming? Do you mean every single hair? When its converted, its one mesh and one time crtl+p.

I could copy-paste the hair mesh, but I have several characters with 4 hair particle systems each one, I´d have to put each mesh in its position, repeat for each shot, etc… so I was looking for a more “elegant” solution.

I am afraid that there is no solution for this at least i dont know one. You have the particle systems right on the character and not on a separate hair mesh?

This might work? https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/216332/is-there-a-way-to-duplicate-a-particle-system-onto-a-seperate-mesh-without-using

I´ve just noticecd that there is already a built in function to do that. Probably I hadn´t noticed it till now, as I was following old tutorials and I ´m quite dumb. It´s in the particle tab, clic in the down arrow and it´s there.

The vertex groups get lost in translation but that´s easily fixable. Yet, at least in my computer, some glitches are happening, like being unable to delete old particle systems.