Halos wont render using ray tracing.

I can’t get my halos to render properly. Im using ray tracing on a robot, and the joints are shapes that have are rendered as halos but they wont render when i use yafray.

Blender internal reneder(left)
Ray tracing (right)
Settings im using.(bottom left)

any help would be appreciated thanks.
lee

Attachments

Hi there fudefite. First, let me say that you really ought to switch to Yaf(a)ray, as it offers many more features and options than Yafray. Take my word for it.

As to your question, I don’t believe that Yafray supports the halo shader; I could be wrong as I don’t use Yafray and don’t know a ton about it. Have you been able to render halos in Yafray in the past?

Lastly, it would probably be more efficient to put an emissive material on the joint area, render that as a separate pass, do the glow in the Blender compositor, and then composite that back on top of the image.

Please tell me if I am unclear or if you have any other questions.

Cheers.

halos are a post-process effect, and therefore won’t render in raytracing. You can try replicating the same effect with a blend texture on a plane or something the likes of that.

Lastly, it would probably be more efficient to put an emissive material on the joint area, render that as a separate pass, do the glow in the Blender compositor, and then composite that back on top of the image.

I’ve been modelling in blender for quite a while but tweeking the render properties is something I’ve only started to touch on. If you have the time, could you just break down how the blender compositor for me? Also How do emissive materials work?

Two big questions I know, sorry. Thanks.
Lee