Hamasaki Ayumi(Fan Art)

Hello everyone.
I created a model of a Japanese singer(Hamasaki Ayumi) to improve my 3DDCG skills .
I will do my best more.
I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions.
Thank you!

Borrowed material→
eye node & texture:https://youtu.be/n0r0UnaIK_Y

Base color texture:Degital Emily

HDRI:https://hdrihaven.com/

2 Likes

Hello! Capturing someone’s likeness is pretty challenging because we fixate on features by default, overlooking the underlying structure that gives them character. Are you up for some tips? I believe the strategy I use to paint faces can also help in 3D.

Before anything lay down the groundwork necessary to understand you subject’s face.

1. You need a system to rationalize the facial structure, a baseline you’ll use as a framework to identify plane changes. This is something against you’ll compare every face ever. I’m talking about Asaro’s “Planes of the Head”.

An awesome abstraction of the human head, this is well established as a base model in the drawing and painting community, so you’ll have no trouble finding more images to use as reference.

Half of it shows the most basic volumes in a head, the other half shows the landmarks plane changes that define someone’s look. You can use it to train your eyes to break down someone’s face into 3D planes by asking yourself questions like “Where is the crest of her cheek? How sharp is it? How the lips transition into the chin, is the region surrounding the lower lip outer corners voluminous like in Asaro’s model, or is the transition smoother?”.

2. Try to find photos of your subject from multiple angles and under different lights. This step may be hard when the subject has multiple cosmetic changes through the years, so you’ll have to pick a time period too. Keep an eye out for photos where the person’s skin is oily/they used illuminator makeup because that’ll help immensely in spotting plane changes.

With a framework and good references in hands you’re ready for the actual 3D modelling part!

1. You’ll figure out what defines your subject facial structure by looking for landmark plane changes. Not only the most angular transitions gives character, but the softer than average do too, so you’ll want to pay attention to those as well.

DEMO: From likeness to topology
    (not an actual good 3D edge flow, planes highlighted for extra visibility)

Once you know where the geometry should peak and were it should fade into surrounding planes you can translate it into topology, aiming for a good facial edge flow.

2. This is the part where you really nail down the likeness. Knowing what the structure should generally look like, you can use features to adjust proportions of both the facial structure and the features themselves, fine tuning the face. I like to use eyes as the most basic unit of measurement; you can use them to measure practically everything:

• Want to determine how far should eyes sit apart? Figure out how many eyes fit between then.
    • Nose length? How many eyes you could vertically stack along it?
    • Lips width? Where corners are in relation to the center of the eyeballs?

DEMO: Measuring features

That’s it! I hope I didn’t overstepped any limits by dumping a long advice list and this helps. Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Hello birb.
Thank you for your great advice. :スマイル:
Thank you for putting an example in her picture for easy understanding. I was impressed.

I immediately search for the Asaro’s head plane by google.
Based on this, it for modeling and topology to understand facial features.

I used to draw caricatures freehand, but one of my big problems was that caricatures in 3D didn’t work.

We will practice practicing facial features with reference to these.
I will use it for my future work.
I thank you again. Thank you very much. :スマイリー:

1 Like