Hammershus Castle - WIP

UPDATE October 11, 2021:

8 Likes

Any suggestions, critique or other comments?

Very nice indeed. A suggestion is to bend and warp the wood a little. The beam with the hanging chain seems a bit off. Is it meant to hang victims? Otherwise it lacks a purpose and just looks like a random addition.

Thanks for the tip. In regards to the beam with the hanging chain, I’m unsure of its purpose but it was on one of the reconstruction drawings I found. It has a hook at the end, I believe the hook was used as a sort of pulley for a rope, to hoist supplies. Then you grab the chain and get the bags or whatever.

I’m sure it has a purpose, I’m just not sure which purpose.

The most likely time to take a picture of this castle is shortly before sunset or shortly after sunrise when strong light will be illuminating the front face and also (because the castle probably does not face exactly due-east/west) some portion of the side.

Thanks. You clearly know something about this castle! I will take this lighting tip into consideration when rendering the castle.

Nice work on the stone and brick texturing. I think the beam, hook and door on a top floor are common for buildings that were used to store supplies - particularly in preparation for sieges. It’s a lot easier & faster to hoist the supplies up than carry them up the stairs.

I suppose it might have worked like that, but the narrow radius of the hook would tend to damage the rope I would think. Block and tackle pulleys have been around since ancient times, so that seems more likely. Maybe the pulley was attached to the hook when in use?

Looking great, nice work so far. The only thing I’m not sure about is the bottom, lighter coloured bricks look at little flat, yet the top ones look great. Other than that, the same as what everyone else is saying. The wood looks a little new, maybe do some texture paint and make the edges and the end of the pole darker. Good work, keep it up :grinning:

Some new updates, using the Eevee render. I’ve finally made the terrain. Some height map, combined with photo, of course I had to paint some of it myself:

And the other side:

1 Like

Now with castle gate. See first post.

A Hammershus Animation is ready.

Includes both the Gatehouse and Mantel Tower animation/reconstruction:

It’s been a while since I last posted here.

I’ve restarted on the project, re-working the terrain etc.

As you can see, I’ve finished the main castle, still a lot more to come.

1 Like

The main castle has been finished.
Now it’s time for improving my compositing and lighting.
Any ideas?

Here’s a teaser for the up-coming animation: